PS auido Direct stream Dac

Hi I am looking to buy a Dac, now i have Cambridge Audio 851N network player.I am looking at the PS audio Direct Stream Dac with the Bridge 11 and the Holo  Audio May Dac KTE, I have a cd player ,but not many cds so most of the time it would used to stream Qobuz ,I also have a nice vinyl set up which i use about 1/2 the time. My ? does anyone have heard both of these dacs ,if so which sounds most like vinyl, I am 64  so I am trying to decide if these are worth the $ or should i just stick with the CA 851N ,any opinions will help .Thanks Lloyd
128x128bestbaker

Showing 3 responses by tinear123

You are in luck!  I just made the switch the Holo May KTE from the Direct Stream.  I had both in my system for 3 months and in my particular system (Innuos MK3-->DAC-->Don Sachs Custom Pre-->Coincident Frankenstein 300B monos--> BD Design Horn speakers) the May crushed the Direct Stream of which I had used for 3 years.  Note that I did load the new "sunshine" firmware on the Direct Stream and A/B ed for a week before finally letting go of the DS.  Make no mistake the DS is very good and with the multiple firmwares available it's quite flexible.  The downside is the Bridge-II is marginal at best and to get the best from the DS you must use the I2s input which has minimal upstream support.  Your mileage may vary. 
@jon2020 ... Following up on the question.  Make no mistake the DSD is a great DAC however in my system the May KTE was a big step up.  More open, more extended highs with more space arounds instruments... which I found off since R2R DACs tend to round off highs in general.  I certainly was not expecting the huge improvement.  Also of note the DSD is in the process of being replaced with a new model and one above that but more importantly the final software release was just made (Sunshine) so no further benefit to it being FPGA based in the future.   
Following up... @rbstehno ... 
1) YES, upgraded to Sunshine and ran continuously for 2 weeks 
2) NO, I2s which is clearly the best case for the DS
3) NO, I2s See #2
4) YES, used the DAC for 2 years with >1K hrs and see #1 for firmware
5) YES, followed Teds recommendations as they evolved over the years

Thus, In summary I can easily restate that the MAY KTE spanked the DS "in my system" and by no small margin.  However... as I have pointed out elsewhere that the synergy between components can be far more important than any single piece.