PS Audio P300/Rogue 66 preamp wierdness

I recently purchased a new Rogue 66pre. Now, in case your not familiar,it is a inverting polairty tube pre-amp with 2-12AU7 tubes and a seprate power supply. It only seems to operate well with the P300 in the PS2 multi-wave setting (not bad in SS5, SS6 and SF7). Normal sine wave at 60 hz is not to bad but as you increase the sine wave setting past 60 hz I start to hear a humming sound which increases with intensity as I approach 105 to 120 hz settings where its unbareable.

Now, at other multiwave settings such as SS1,SS3, SF4, SS8 and SS9 I hear a wierd thumpimg, humping sound (pardon my electronic dumbness). Therefore, cetainly can;t play it in these modes.

Does anyone know what the deal is here ? Anyone else have a Rogue 66 and P300 and encounter the same thing ? No problem when I have the preamp plugged into wall and only CD plugged into P300. I only plug the pre and cd into the P300.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Assoicated equipment: Bryston 3B ST amp, Arcam 8 SE CD
Mirage OM6, MIT T2 biwire speaker cab
Bryston and WW EQ 111 interconnects

thanks,
Paul
nb_dude

Showing 1 response by blueswan

The Rogue 66 is a solid, musical preamp. My suggestion is to use the most basic settings, i.e. a solid 60Hz sine wave, with the least waveform compensation possible. That loud hum is telling you something is not right.