Ps audio aspen FR 30 Loudspeakers

Having bought several upper end products from p.s audio in the past such as their flagship dac   Parts quality inside were Average at best.   I am looking at New Loudspeakers and having over 40 years in audio and owning a Audio Store  to me a 🚩 flag is when you won’t should the Critical Xover inside which is the ♥️ orthe 🧠 of the speaker ,  at $28,500   The speaker should be shown inside and out , and if a company uses the term proprietary drivers or Xover parts ,that means nothing special I except the lofty $$ price tag.  Having modded Loudspeakers for myself and others for over 20 years ,know first hand most mags  take many cost cutting short cuts . It’s up to the mfg to Prove to the buyer they are worthy,Especially a totally new item , they specialize in electronics ,Not Loudspeakers .  Unless you can see everything about the drivers, and Xover and parts quality ,then most likely parts are made in China or close to it ,in reality less then $8k into the total build ,  look at a Wilson Sabrina ,Magico, B&W , they all disclose their build designs . Just ge careful, if you can’t see all your answers, they buy with ⚠️ Caution ⚠️ 

128x128audioman58

Lots of venom targeted in a narrow context of quality of parts

That leads to yet another tastes great less filling, spirited discussion of judging equipment performance by results of measurements vs results by what we're hearing

I'm not a EE and can quickly get left behind in all the numbers and diagrams

This requires me to base my opinions on sound quality not quality of the parts

That said Paul hardly needs me to come to his rescue as his pedigree is self evident IMO

Paul is a pioneer in the industry, a pillar and treasure in the audio community and has evolved to an astute businessman and corporate executive

As the op has accurately pointed out, the historical core competencies at PS Audio is electronics, not speakers 

Conversely I think the current vision and strategy at PS Audio is more holistic, through the entire food chain, starting with production and ending with playback

Look for a moment at the investment PS Audio has made with Octave records and producing their own specialized formats, engineered from the ground up with optimal playback in mind

When PS Audio gets the recording hand to fit better and better into the playback glove, all listeners will benefit not just those that own PS Audio products

I personally find that exciting and a potential game changer

My sincere respect to all opinions, as none are right or wrong - only different

One of the greatest strengths of the audio community is our differences and being able to share them without fear of retribution or shaming

Enjoy the journey

@charles1dad --

"In general I accept the premise that better quality parts will lead to improved sound quality. However the overall speaker design and manufacturing aspects have to be considered.

Speaker#1 has an "A" list of renown parts. Speaker #2 uses parts from unknown/unfamiliar less expensive brands.

Speaker #1 sounds just okay and speaker#2 is captivating. I’m spending my money to purchase the latter. Sound quality will always trump an impressive parts list as far as I’m concerned. This is audio so you actually have to do some listening.

Charles"

Well put, Charles. Back in the day the Snell AII’s comprised fairly cheap drivers (as did other if not most of the original Snell models), and knowing this some would no doubt scoff at the AII’s believing they’d never be able to produce good sound, contrary to what they actually did, and so much so that in vital areas they paled most of the contemporary competition. The late Peter Snell knew how to make speakers from a holistic approach.

I concur 1000% with Randy Man. You cann disagree with design decisions or whether you like a speaker looks or sound. But you cannot question PS Audio’s integrity.  They are extremely transparent as a company and of course need to make money.