Proper thickness for platter mat Technics 1200GR(2021)

My girl decided to bring home a 6month old Husky last Monday. I didn’t know it was coming. Long story short the new addition chewed up my platter mat. In search of a new one I see all types of recommended thickness. 3mm, 4mm(Herbies), 5mm(Funk Mat) and even 6mm(older technics). What’s the importance of this? I don’t quite understand VTA but it seems to be reason why thicker platter mats are preferred for this particular table. Is 6mm to thick? Is 5mm the sweet spot? Using the MP200 cartridge(if that plays a part).

Im currently investing in to protecting my cables from the pup...just in case. :p

tmac1700

Showing 3 responses by reubent

@andysf  - Hey Andy, I was thinking of buying the SL1200 Achromat for my Pioneer PLX 1000 which is a Super-OEM copy of the classic Technics SL1200. How does the Achromat fit? Does it have a channel on the underside that fits over the lip on the Technics platter? Or is the diameter small enough that it fits inside of the lip on the outside of the Technics platter? Lastly, how do you like it?

@big_greg  - Hi Greg. Do you have the Achromat that is specifically designed for the SL1200? How does it fit? Does it have a channel cut out of the bottom to fit over the ridge on the outside edge of the SL1200 platter? Or is the diameter small enough to sit inside of the ridge on the outside of the platter?

Just curious because it would seem you would want the aftermarket mat to be in contact with the whole platter. A stiff mat that did not fit either inside of the raised ridge, or have a channel to accommodate the ridge, would not sit flush against the platter, correct?

BTW, with my Audio Technica AT-VM740ML, I cannot get the VTA correct using only the stock mat. The VTA adjustment bottoms out before I can get the tonearm exactly level. It's close, but I would like to have a little adjustment on either side of level to test different VTA settings.