Project Classic versus Rega P2

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a turntable primarily to play all my mom's oldies records from before she passed away. I really don't want to spend over $1,000. My local Magnolia has a Rega P2 demo model that I can pickup for about $500. I then saw on Audiogon Marketplace  a  Project Classic for $899 from Salon 1 Audio. I have already fell in love with the look of the table. Is the Classic worth the extra money? Also, anyone purchase from Salon 1 Audio in the past? Opinions?

Thanks all!

Petel
128x128avhomeguy79
Thanks for your input!  I will check out the Technics  also. I still go back and forth about a record player for that sole purpose. I have no intention of buying the LPs of albums I currently own. Also, I find myself streaming Tidal more and more often.  
@avhomeguy - I’ve owned what I consider an "entry level" Rega Planar II. Bought it in 1981

However, I’ve spent many years replacing various parts to get it to a level of performance I am really happy with. The only parts still "Rega" is the lid and the on/off switch.

But looking at the TT’s available today, I would opt for a Music Hall MMF 3.3 or MMF 5.3.

The MMF 7.3 is very good, It comes with an acrylic platter, which I prefer, and the belt goes around the platter for better speed control, but it’s getting up there in price.

Even the MMF3.3 priced at $699 comes lots of nice features normally found on much higher priced turntables...
  • Electronic speed controlled DC motor for superior speed stability, isolated on lower plinth
  • Custom carbon fiber tonearm with alloy headshell for superb tracking ability
  • Counterweight’s center of gravity is level with the stylus tip is decoupled from the arm and acts as a resonance damper
  • High precision stainless steel and bronze main bearing assembly for quiet fluid operation
  • Special vibration damping adjustable feet
  • Music Hall’s unique dual-plinth design – isolating the electronics and motor from the main bearing and tonearm
They also come with a reasonable Ortofon cartridge installed and ready to go.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MHMMF33

Give them a look - they are a great alternative to the Rega offerings.

Good Luck - Steve
@Steve I will. I am not too familair with turntables other than the least vibration the better. The tables at this price point seem to be plug and play which makes me happy.