Progressive Rock

Have any of you specifically built your system to listen to progressive rock, i.e. Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.? I'm curious because I have, and was wondering what components you have found that lend themselves well to this particular type of music. The reason I asks is that I attended the Home Entertainment show last month in NYC. And not one of the rooms I visited were playing rock of any kind - and they did not seem receptive to taking request - especially at the volume I would need to hear before plunking down oh say $12,000 for a pair of speakers. Any incite you care to share is appreciated. Thanks, Matt...
yes9

Showing 2 responses by eagleman6722

I built my system around Vandersteen 2CE sigs. Tube Audio design 150 Preamp, McCormack DNA-1 power, Just bought an Eatern Electric CDP. I like the set up because all these components are nuetral and well-balanced. A lot of energy with the McCormack Amp. Great soundstage by all these units.
What defines progressive aprt from classic. I listen to 99% rock from eagles, Aerosmith, Seeger, Fleetwood Mac, Who, and such more modern groups like, Everclear, Train, Cold Play (their CDs area terrible Mix), Nicleback (don't have any CDs as they sound very compressed). My system is built around Vandersteen 2CE sigs. When i bought speakers it was between those and some Maggie 1.6s. While the Maggies seemed to be very tonally accurate, they did not have the punch that the Vandys had. I thought that the Vandys would sound better on the type of music that I listen to so I chose them.