ProAcs or B&W--Not hifi experienced, but luv music

I have a 5K budget for a compact system. I have looked at three systems. The 4K setup is a Linn Classik w ProAc Tablette Signatures. The 6K one is Rotel receiver w/ B&W 805s w/a Mac Book as the CD player and a Benchmark digital to analog converter. The store is giving me a discount on demo stuff. I would be willing to spend the extra $$$ as that includes a notebook, on-line radio, etc. I like both of these. The third option is B&O at 5K. This is pretty but the the sound doesn't justify the $$$. I enjoy listening to international, classical, putamayo, jazz, latin. Which do you think is the better system?
j4tonks
Don't evaluate with your ear near a speaker. The larger the speaker the more discontinuity you'll hear. Back up to the listening position.

Take some of your favorite most complex music (with lots of things going on) to test coherance. If things "don't work together" you won't be able to pick out details within a large group or things will seem slightly muddied or unfocused. Really good systems let you hear the details, not with just solo classical guitar, but when lots of things are going on.

Don't be embarrassed to go back a couple of more times. You'll learn more and more as you realize what to listen for.

Dave
That's what I hear with sony, bose, b&o -- no clarity within a complex piece. When the flute comes it, I want to hear it clearly and not as a flat sound -- I want to hear the wind.
Peter or Dave -- could you recommend a good receiver to go w/the B&W 805? I'm not sure I'd have the guts to purchase Decware Select Zen Taboo. But...
After re-reading all this I get the impression that the ProAcs might be the better choice. I don't need a big bass sound. J
On the internet radio front, you may want to investigate a decent USB sound card/DAC unless someone here can vouch for the Mac's internal sound card. Also, at least on my Windows laptop, the difference in sound between running the laptop on battery versus AC is not a subtle one (much lower noise), so a higher value battery may be a wise investment. There are many great internet radio stations out there to listen to. My favorite is Radio Paradise's 128k AAC feed.

The other advantage of a laptop in your rig is using a desktop as a remote server for your laptop via wifi and iTunes.

No experience with either speaker -- maggies and tubes here.

Good luck
Remember - Jane is talking about using a Benchmark DAC with the laptop. This means it is either a USB Dac, or there is a USB->SPDF converter involved. In either case, she should be able to get sound atleast as good as a CD player with that setup, as long as she uses a lossless digital format for storing music. The internet radio won't sound as good, but what the hay - if you like the musical selection, enjoy it as you can (I enjoy streaming recorded grateful dead concerts and the sound doesn't bother me). So Jane - don't worry about your source if you are using the Benchmark and a laptop. Also, Apple is a better choice than PC. So you're good on that. I would also say that there are other USB DACs that may even better the Benchmark for less money - such as the Paradisea available on Ebay ($650). The problem is, when asking for opinions on this site, you are going to get referred to gear your dealer doesn't sell, and it sounds like you are already committed to working with the dealer.

Why do you need a receiver? Can you get by with just digital sources? If so, find a good solid state amplifier that has a warm sound (to compliment the more analytical sound of the B&W and the Benchmark), and that has a good impedence match with the Benchmark. I don't have a suggestion - you might want to search for some threads on the B&W here on agon to get recommendations. But what if they are amps that your dealer doesn't sell?

In the above case, you are using the Benchmark's volume control as your preamp. Just digital input. No FM tuner. What do you think?

So, you are going to have to choose. Either give us a list of what your dealer sells, or be open to buying other stuff beyond what your dealer sells. If it were me, and I didn't need FM radio, I would go for the laptop, buy a Paradisea USB DAC on Ebay, get the B&W's, and get a complimentary integrated amplifier for the B&W's.

All the Best, Peter

PS - I probably would miss the bass!

PPS - Can you make your dealer still happy by buying some stuff from them, and go elsewhere for other???
Yes, you sound more like a Tablette person to me. Have you seen this review of the Classik?:
http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/307/
I think it would handle the B&Ws also very well.

I know that I'd prefer the Linn/ProAc system more.

Dave