ProAc Response 2: CJ CAV45, Cary SEI 300B, or Cary Rocket 88?

Looking at the amps listed in the title to pair with my newly acquired ProAc Response 2: CJ CAV45, Cary SEI 300B, or Cary Rocket 88

Looking for the best tone and most in-the-room presence possible. Also want tuneful/rhythmic bass vs depth/authority.

Any feedback from those who have heard any of these, especially with ProAc would be appreciated.

Thanks!

128x128leahy

Showing 10 responses by leahy

Thanks for the replies so far. I currently have a schiit Freya+ and Red Wine Audio Sig 30.2. While this combination really sounds good, I'm comparing it to a setup I heard when the ProAcs were new - Cary monos 300B and Audible Illusions 3. Every track was magic - didn't break down by bass, mids, treble, etc. I was just totally engaged with the music, and I didn't need a lot of volume to get there.

I'm looking to get that same feeling back, but the CAV may get me there with some extra watts to spare!

More feedback is still welcome!

Thanks 49 - room is 8X14, and I'm trying to find the best system for lower volume listening.

Thanks for all of the latest thoughts. Decooney - to be more clear, "authority" is not what I need when it comes to bass. I’m looking for acoustic bass that will ebb, flow, and bounce, like it does in person. Basically, an amp that makes anyone in the room feel like getting their groove on, as opposed to equipment where you analyze the sound.

I know the easy answer is get the same components that made the magic back in the late-90s. My concern is with Audible Illusions service as the owner winds down his career. I’m hoping to get most of the Cary monos/AI with a simpler setup.

I’m pretty well set that I will bypass the Rocket 88 as that will require a high-gain preamp to do its thing, and the other two options will more than likely give me more of the "magic".

I have both an SEI and CAV45 in my sights, just waiting on a shipping quote from Canada and an offer made last night on the 45. Whichever one works out I’ll go with, and of course, I’ll probably end up with both here at some point.

I’ll follow up with some impressions once something new gets in the house. By the way, I’m still looking for the appropriate Target R2 stands. If you know of anyone who might have those with a desire to sell, send them my way!

Thanks Spencer - I have a CAV45 on the way, but I'll keep an eye out for the Berning too.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience. I had an RM9 Mk I some years ago, but I did not have a quality preamp paired with it. I'm sure the RM9 II with AI3 would be a great system. Along with the CAV45 on the way, which should be enough power for my small room and listening habits, I'm in negotiations for an M3B. If that comes my way, I'll be on the lookout for the MR amp too!

Charles - now that I'm close to a deal with the AI-M3B, I really want to source a pair of the CAD monos. It will be a lot of fun to audition a few integrateds against some quality separates. 

For anyone who cares, I'll post observations as I acquire different pieces.

Hi Charles - I don't have the AI yet, but I just accepted a counteroffer to purchase an M3B. My plan is to find a pair of 300B Cary monos with the AI and compare with the CJ45. I'd really prefer a one-box setup, if the sound is close enough. I also think the extra power may be handy when I turn the dial up a bit.

Thanks Ralph - I really appreciate that bit of history. I was unaware that the M-60 was so popular with the R2. 

Perkri - thanks for sharing. That's something I really appreciate about most tube amps - regardless of age, you can bring them back to like-new or better with new caps/resistors. If someone is handy, they can do the maintenance themselves. Looks like I get to try out the 45 early next week, according to UPS. 

I'm also very interested in hearing what the AI M3B does compared to my Freya +. The AI should also arrive early next week. It's nice to have these distractions with all of the depressing news that is our current reality.

I'll have to look up your amp - I'm pretty sure I've never seen it.