PrimaLuna Dialogue Preamp = emotionless?

After years of running a PS Audio Direcstream dac directly into ATC active floorstanders, I decided to take everyone’s advice and add a preamp into the mix. I picked up a used PrimaLuna Dialogue with highly regarded Mullard CV4003’s and Phillips 5R4GYS’s, the tubes purchased by the original owner five years ago from Upscale Audio, a terrific source. My correspondents were correct about adding a good preamp: it transforms everything in a very big way. That’s the good news -- and bad. The latter is the reason for posting.

Before the preamp, this was a modestly warm system, for which the Directstream is known. It was one in which it was not hard to find myself drawn into the music and performance. Since adding the PrimaLuna however, I find myself watching -- or listening to -- emotion but not feeling a thing. That is, beyond marveling at the other characteristics of the presentation. After that, I’m left perfectly cold - 100%. This is not at all what I expected -- or desire.

So what to do... Is there anything I should look at with the preamp? What about other preamps, preferably tube ones? The skinny these days is that tube gear developers are trying to imitate the "neutrality" of solid state, the so-called modern tube sound some call it. With the PrimaLuna, I was expecting to find a point in between the classic tube sound and the common solid state one, but what I’m hearing is more than a little distant from that.

(Other than adding the PrimaLuna and not having Ultimate beeswax fuses in the DS and PL currently for other reasons, nothing else in my system has changed: modified Oppo 203 w/ digital output only, PS Audio P15 Regenerator and AC-12 power cords, and MG Audio Design AG2 ICs,)
highstream

Showing 7 responses by aolmrd1241

highstream...If what you mean by ’emotionless’... the music not pulling you into the performance...I would have to disagree with your findings. My PL is a music making machine that brings out the best that the the DS dac has to offer. I have tried many different tube types...and for my likes... the Amperex NOS 7316 is a great tube for revealing the best of what the the PL has to offer. For the recifiers, I like the Brimar NOS 5R4GY. They are a bit more musically involving than the Phillips,which can sound a bit to dry for my liking.

Also..the 7316 foil d getter [1958] is a killer tube that I use in the center slots. It brings/adds a touch more humanity to the table... 8)
teo audio,
Well...I guess either one likes a preamp in the chain...or they don't. Most people I think prefer a pre for their home audio music making enjoyment...not to mention the switching capabilities. As always...ymmv 
Sorry high stream...after re-reading your post... I now see what you were saying.
Never listened to the 5Z4G so I can not comment.
The 7316 with the foil strip getters are a long plate design. To my ears... they are much more lush/organic sounding with great bass slam... than the large/small O getter short plates that followed after the 1958 foil type.
  The 7316 tubes are also a very,very quiet 12au7... which is a great bonus for the lowering of the preamps noise floor. They also come in a D-stirrup-shaped getter that should not be confused with the foil one. Some folks will try to pass them as the original foil design [because of the d-shaped getter] so beware of that when shopping around...
johnss said....”would also suggest you swap out your DAC for a Denafrips. Even the cheapest version will out perform your current dac”

Hmmm....would you have first hand knowledge of this or are you relying on reviews and speculation?
So...you also compared the Denafrips directly to highstreams current PSA DS dac with the latest Windom firmware?
mulveling  said..." I think anyone who’s spent time looking for 12AU7 alternatives has realized how much the 12AU7 actually sucks.’

Your blanket statement of 12au7’s sucking is just that...a personal opinion at best. We all listen differently and what I like,may not be..what you like. Which is completely fine. As they say..horses for courses.