PREAMPLIFIER UPGRADE QUESTION

My system consists of the following:

1. Martin Logan Impressions 11A

2. Rogue RP-1 preamplifier

3. Lumin U@ mini streamer with Chord Qutest DAC.

4. Bryston 4B3 Cubed power amplifier

I just purchased the Bryston amplifier and it has brought my speakers to life. From dull and listless to vibrant and alive.

I would like to upgrade my preamp and my three choices are as follows:

1. Rogue Audio RP-9-tubes

2. Bryston BR-19 which is fully balanced.

3. Conrad Johnson ET6 or ET6SE

My cables are Cardas Clear Cygnus

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

128x128kjl1065

I bought a used Ayre Acoustics KX-5 Twenty preamp for just over $5K.  Fully balanced and dead quiet, it is very dynamic at lower volume settings.  I can't believe what I was missing before.  I've got it paired up with a Parasound JC-5 amplifier pushing a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's.  There's a lot out there to choose from because many people are dumping expensive preamps in favor of bypassing and using a DAC with a volume control.  I'm not in that camp, get a good preamp like the KX-5 Twenty you won't regret it. 

If you love your Martin Logans look for something that plays well with your electrostatic speakers.  I had McIntosh and it did not work out very well sent direction I had to go in a differ 

Good Luck and let us know how you make out!

As per some that have suggested something that does not need be pricey to be excellent, what you’re describing really does fall into the camp of SPL. Yes, I’m a fanboy of SPL. But the Elector pre had literally transformed my system. The newest iteration has additional outputs for both balanced and single ended, but it is a balanced preamp with exceptionally low noise floor and true to source. Also with an astounding stage, placement accuracy, realism and clarity. Very little coloration, but still maintains a bit of tube like shimmer. 

Many have used it with much, much more expensive systems without it becoming in any way a bottleneck or mismatch. 

I highly recommend the ModWright PH 9.0 and if you can add the X version (Balanced output) it is even better. There is also a T upgrade (Tube rectification power supply). This is a phono stage that will compete with those in the 10K range. Good luck finding the right phono stage.