Preamp to Pair with NAD M23

Hi everyone,

I recently got a NAD M23 to replace an Adcom GFA-555 that I've been using the past 10 years.  I am using a Bryston 11B as a preamplifier currently along with an Arcam irDAC to drive a pair of Kef 104/2s.  Overall, I am pretty happy with the sound but am curious about newer preamplifiers.  The sound stage and imaging with the NAD is definitely an improvement to the Adcom especially at lower volume levels.  I have been looking at the Benchmark HPA4 as a potential replacement and using the Bryston as a phono preamp.  For anyone with experience with any of these components would a major upgrade or more of a lateral move as I understand that Bryston and Benchmark are both known to be fairly neutral.  Any other suggestions are welcome as well.  Thanks.

Andrew

teetrain

Showing 1 response by jimmy2615

I have an M23 as well, very impressed with it.  So much so that I ordered the M66 to go with it, which would be a logical pairing of course.  That said, I’ve tried two other preamps with it.  A Primaluna (excellent combo) and an SPL Elektor (not so good combo).  The SPL is a great preamp, which sounds excellent with my Primaluna amps, but there’s a synergy mis-match I think with the NAD, it just sounds a little dull/muted.  If you can go tubes with the NAD, they go well together, at least the Primaluna in this case.  I did have a Benchmark LA4 a while back but not with the NAD, so I couldn’t say how they would do together, just have to try it out.  Given that they are both such neutral sounding components however, I would guess the end result would be a very neutral combo, perhaps good with some speakers but boring with others.  I also tried the NAD driven direct by my Weiss DAC, which like the benchmarks has a pro/studio heritage and is very neutral, and that sounds excellent.  I do prefer a preamp in the chain though.