Preamp Recommendations Lamm, Ayre K-1x, BAT 31SE

Curent System:
Ayre V-5x amp
Levinson 390S CDP directly driving the Ayre
Dynaudio Contour 3.0 Speakers
Au24 speaker cables, Audience Power Cord, PS Audio P300 for CDP, Cardas Golden Cross XLR IC

As much as I like the transparency of the CDP directly driving the amp, the system is begging for a high quality preamp. I've never owned tube gear, but am interesting in trying a good one. I like what I have read about the Lamm LL2, the Ayre-1x, and the BAT 31SE. Of course there are so many other offerings from Hovland, Sonic Fronteirs, ARC, C-J, CAT, and so on.....

I listen to a lot of vocals (Joni Mitchell, Nora Jones, Lucinda Williams, Ella Fitzgerald) and simple jazz arrangements, and occasionaly rock (Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, dave mathews).

As lazy as it sounds, I also want/need a remote (which eliminates many). Also, for some perhaps stupid reason, I want it to handle XLR in/out since that's what I currently have.

Your thoughts and expereinces (especially Ayre or other good SS amp owners) GREATLY appreciated.
artg
I have the Ayre K-1X preamp, and I am very, very happy with it. (I sincerely doubt I will be upgrading this unit for a long, long time, if ever.)

I too wanted a preamp with a remote, so I completely understand your wanting one. (Adjusting the volume while sitting in the sweat spot is almost not an option.) Be aware, that the remote really only controls the volume (& mute) though, nothing else. (Although it would turn your K-5X amp on and off, I believe. I know it works with the V-1X amp.)
I picked this preamp due to its remarkable soundstaging and imaging capabilities, as well as its outstanding phono stage. (I listen to vinyl mostly, btw, and it is much better than my old ARC PH-3 phono preamp. Quieter, better frequency response, and fairly easy to adjust the gain and loading too.)

One point I should make: It is very revealing, so you will need to have really good electronics, especially your source. (Your Levinson cdp should work just fine. I use a Resolution Audio Opus 21 myself, but I highly considered the levinson too.)

My previous preamp was an ARC LS-2, and the Counterpoint 3.1. Both were good (The LS-2 was very good in fact), but not in the Ayre's class to be honest. By the way, it works very well with my Levinson No. 23 amp, driving my Revel Studio Speakers. I also most of my components with XLR cables, as this preamp was designed, from the ground up, to run balanced. (In fact, even the phono input is set up for XLR.)

I have not heard the Lamm, but have heard the BAT at a dealers. It is pretty good, but I think a better comparision would be to the BAT VK-51SE actually.

Good Luck in your search.
Hi,
I have a BATVK30SE feeding an Ayre V5x. Audience XLR and speaker cables; Avalon Ascendant speakers.

Works great!! I think you will like having a quality preamp. BTW I used (not with this exact set up) to have a Wadia 850 driving the amp directly. You lose a bit of transparency when you add a preamp. But, I really like having the preamp - I think it adds more than it interferes.
From reading your post it was looking like you might be thinking that the Ayre K1-x is a tube preamp. It is a solid state preamp actually. Sounded like you were looking for a tube preamp.
thanks for the fast replies. To clarify Ejlif's point, I am interested in tube preamps, but added the Ayre V-1x (which i know is SS) to that mix because it has some tube like qualities, and would presumably mate up well with the Ayre amp.

I think I'll bring home a few of these and let my ears be the judge. Unfortunately, no Lamm dealers locally.