Preamp Ideas For 777ES EVo Maggie IIIa s

Hey everyone, the above is my current setup and i am using EVS Ultimate Attenuators right now as my preamp with so-so results. I am also using silver audio silver bullet 6.0 for IC's and tekline copper 1500tl speaker cable. Right now i have a huge soundstage and great detail however my setup is currently very bright, lacks a midrange, and has little to no bass impact at all. I'm not looking for any kind of house shaking thump, but i am looking for something that will realistically portray the bottom end of the spectrum. right now the midrange and bass sound emaciated and pale compared to the musical design sp2b i was running on it. in fact i am almost leaning towards getting that same unit again. anyways, any suggestions on preamps that would benefit my system. number of inputs is not a concern but detail, soundstage, and midrange is. Also i have heard good things about placette and nORh but as i am using passive right now i am afraid i will run in to the same problem again (impedence mismatch?) also, i may be way off track here, i am only running one Bel Canto EVo to the maggies. Knowing the power consumption of the maggies, could a lack of power be one of the reasons? Would a second EVo runing in mono solve my problem? I plan on doing this eventually anyway, but i didn't have this problem with my last pre so it leads me to believe the EVS is the culprit. anyways, i'll leave it up to your opinions which i desperately need. Thanks, in advance for all of your help.
vintgeguru

Showing 1 response by sedond

vintageguru, are ewe primarily a digital kinda guy? if so, i tink this also may contribute to what yure experiencing - vinyl prolly woodn't show these symptoms as much.

be that as it may, i can vouch for the cary slp98 - an *excellent* pre that will do that toob-thing without being coloured - it's wery accurate, imho. that being said, if it were *my* money, i'd take a risk & go for a melos - either a sha-gold/maestro, at a quite bit less than a used cary, or a melos ma-333/music-director, at a bit more $$$. in fact, this is yust what i *did* do w/my money! ;~) while the cary was a bit better all-around, than a hot-rod rogue 99 i tried, (except bass & accuracy, where it's a *lot* better, imo), the melos music-director, which i got, is in another league altogether, imho. i think this preamp will acquit itself well against *any* current top preamps, and, cuz of melos' recent difficulties, they are a bargain on the used market.

i also agree w/liz, that if yer interconnects are long, this will be a likely contributor to yer problems.

good luck, doug