Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Mhu,

I own the Berning ZH270. I use the normal setting and run the volume wide open. This effectively eliminates both volue controls being in circuit. I find that the music has much more dynamics to it this way. Yes it does limit how far you can turn up the volume on the preamp and you may get a little more background hiss, but I find this to be a small tradeoff for the increase in dynamics.
As some of you know, l have been the very happy owner of a Supratek Cabernet pre amp now for about 4 months.

Prior to purchasing the Supratek l was close to buying a passive pre amp. Not the traditional stepped resistor type but a transformer based system. The one that seemed to garner the most consistent praise is the Bent Audio NOH. Its made in Canada and in the end l lost my nerve on tking a US$2k chance and went with the Supratek. l am enjoying my Supratek immensley but after it developed an intermittent cut out in the right channel neseciating a return for repair l got to wondering about the NOH. Not much to go wrong there

Bent Audio have recently ceased production of the NOH so l placed a WTB on an owners forum and within days had located a unit for sale in Hong Kong. l have decided to take the plunge and decide for myself once and for all if TVC is for me. My system has way too much gain so is ideally suited.

Expecting the NOH in the next week. Within a month there will either be a mint near new Supratek or Bent NOH looking for a new home

BTW the Supratek was only suffering from a loose wire, be interesting to see if thats its downfall!!
Hello all,
This is my first post to this thread. Looking for a tube preamp that has a home theater pass through, I happened upon the Supratek and now my appetite has been wet. I read on Mick's website that the Chenin has a pass through for home theater, but couldn't determine if the Cortese has one as well. My important question for anyone who can help me is how well either of these preamps will match with my beloved Pass Aleph's. (2 Aleph 5s driving the top end and a pair of Aleph 2s driving the bottom end of a tri-amped configuration (Speakers are the Waveform Mach 17). These are single ended solid state class a amps of late 1990 vintage. Has anyone had experience using the supratek preamp with the Pass Aleph's
Thanks,
Michael
Slowhand, the tubes have quiet down a lot since the first night. The noise was probably also in part due to the regulator tube not being seated properly. The norm setting with volume all the way up now seems to work for me too, thanks.
The soundstage has opened up quite a bit, and lifeless recordings now have a natural presence. I'll report back after 300 hours or so. Hard to imagine it will get better, and I'm still in the first 30 hours/stock tubes.
Also, a thanks to Jazzdude for taking the time to answer my questions when I was going through the purchasing decision. Boy, am I glad I did.
Can't say I have heard the Supratek with the Pass labs gear, but I would think it would sound great together. As for the theater pass through on the Cortese, Mick hand builds all preamps to your needs.