Preamp after Manley Steelhead?

Hi guys.
Should I need to place a Pre-amp after my Steelhead and before the power amps, do you suggest to use the variable outs from the steelhead or the fixed outputs?
Thanks
Mark
mark_passer
The Steelhead got rave reviews as a pre-amp in Stereophile.
But if you decide to run it into a pre-amp, use the fixed outputs.
"The Steelhead got rave reviews as a pre-amp in Stereophile."

You say that like it means something
I have the Steelhead running directly into my Tenor 300hp amps (this replaced the Groove phonostage running through a Hovland HP 100 pre-amp). The sound running directly through to the amp is very pure - great resolution and very natural. At first it sounded a little odd, but once you actually listen to what is happening, you realize you are hearing much deeper into the music. You should also try using the moving magnet input instead of the MC (even if you are running a MC cartridge). I was using the MC input for a year (Dynavector XV-1S on a VPI HRX table) and I really enjoyed it. One weekend, I had alot of work to do (which I do in front of my stereo), so I figured I would compare the diffeences in sound between the 2 inputs. I spent a full day A/Bing on various albums. At first the music sounded a bit threadbare, but like the change to no preamp, I soon realized I was hearing a much clearer sound. You can really hear the texture of the notes and feel the fingers running over a guitar strings. The sound is less full, but it is not lacking in warmth. Give it a try. It may not be for you, but it certainly is worthwhile to try.
Goatwuss -
If you don't get it I will explain. Stereophile ranked the Steelhead very highly as a stand alone preamp, not just as a phono pre-amp. Regardless of what you may think of that publication, I was suggesting that Mark passer use his Steelhead in such as fashion rather than running the output of his Steelhead through another preamp.
I'm taking the variable output from my Steelhead into my Pass X1 preamp. It sounds fine.

Notably, I am connecting my Sony SCD1 through the Steelhead, as well as directly. I mean, the balanced output from the SCD1 goes directly to the X1, while the single ended output goes to the Steelhead as a switch selectable line level input. By switching inputs on the X1 between the direct feed from the SCD1 and the Steelhead feed, I can compare the sound of the SCD1 going through the Steelhead (including the volume control) versus the direct feed using balanced circuits.

First, I noticed the volume via Steelhead was lower, even with the Steelhead volume control turned up all the way. When I inquired, Manley pointed out that balanced circuits typically will have bigger voltage amplitude and sound louder than single ended circuits. Also, the Steelhead circuitry imposes a slight attenuation.

Second, I can hear what sounds like better dynamic range and a darker background. The sound seems more lithe and natural. As a result, I now do all my serious SACD and redbook listening using the SCD1 via the Steelhead. (The main drawbacks so far are the gradually increasing need to replace the tubes in the Steelhead -- not a real concern, and having to wait for the Steelhead's delay circuit to kick in -- not a real issue for someone who is used to waiting for the SCD1 to load.)