PRE_AMP for ATC- actives??

I am running the AC-100's for my main speakers( full 7.2 ATC for movies) would like to separate 2 channel and movies- I am using the Meridian 861 for everything now and was thinking about getting a pre just for music- I have heard that ATC has problems with tube Pre-amps??- Was thinking of the AR REF3 to soften the sound?- any rec. would be very helpful- thanks
bgordon
Pretty much anything works as far as I know....provided it is XLR balanced. If you use an RCA only preamp then there is a small risk that you can't play them as loud as they can go before the pre-amp runs out of juice.
I thought that because of the 10 ohm impedance on the ATC that only pre's that have roughly 100 ohm output and low gain would work well- I thought I read that somewhere- is this not true??
ATC works well with preamp has high output gain. Make reference to the ATC preampm which would give you good hints of whatÂ’s required.

I have personal experience in matching ATC to a tube preamp (Jadis JPS8s) and it sing me the best opera. Some matched ATC with First Sound tube preamp and reported good result.
Bgordon,

That must be 10 Kilo ohm input impedance which is pretty much standard.
ATCs work fine with tube preamps too if our customer's reactions are any indication- of course our preamps have balanced outputs and plenty of drive (not that the ATCs seem to need it).