Pre + phono under $2500?

this will be used in 2nd system.

have Nottingham Hyperspace + 12" Anna arm as source, have several cartridges to pair with this rig and all are low output MC. currently have a PS Audio GCPH with PCX mod, it's quite good though I prefer tube. haven't decided on amp yet though most likely will be a tube, speakers will be Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento unless wife makes me sell them to free up cash and I will go for Merlin VSM-MX or Usher BE-718.

I had Atma Sphere MP-3 before, I was very impressed with the sound but it lack remote.

I had Audible Illusions 3A before, maybe it was the tubes I didn't get too excited.

prefer one box solution, but open to pre + phono and will love to have remote & XLR out so I can run long IC.

what else is out there that matchs Atma Sphere MP-3 in sound?
semi

Showing 4 responses by semi

never considered a McIntosh before, I owned McIntosh MC501 before and they were just not my cup of tea. how do their pre sound in general? I like extended, transparent, and organic all at the same time.
I am sure ARC SP-15 is a very fine sounding piece, but part of the reason I sold off Atma Sphere MP3 was lack of remote. Also, I will prefer an all tube pre intsead of solid state or hybrid unit.

I think I will have to go with a separate phono stage to find my tube pre with remote and XLR out.
I am a big BAT tube amp fan, have owned many amps and BAT is really special. Listened to a 50SE once, don't remember much any more. Forum seems to have polarized view on BAT pre, maybe I need to get one to try in my own system. what will be a good model to try? 3iX or something higher? what about the older BAT like 3i or 31SE?

as for Rowland, I spoke to a couple owners and they thought Capri was average like most Rowland products, good look but average sound. I owned 8Ti HC once, even the old Pass X350 beats its pants off so I soon sold it.
Just looked up Pacific Valve, looks like this is another china stereo which has no proven history or reliability.

I am trying to find a BAT to listen to.

Some of the finer pre amp with phono all lack remote, Hovland, Atma Sphere, CAT, and AI. If I can live w/o remote, I will have many more choices.