Pre-amp for a NYAL Moscode 300?

Hi all: I am about to receive A NYAL Moscode 300 amp, which is good. I don't have ANY technical info whatsoever for this old guy, though, and can't find any data on the web. This is not good, since I can't pre-amp shop without knowing the impedances, etc. Anyone know this amp at all, or can suggest a suitable pre-amp? I think it's likely going to want a solid state pre, and I'd like an integrated mm phono stage (it's a secondary system, so I don't need real high end off the phono here) but it's not critical. I am also considering something like a used CJ PV10A or PV10AL with outboard phono pre as an option, but again, without the data I'm kinda stuck. Thanks for any help you can provide! chas
costrosk362c

Showing 1 response by costrosk362c

Hi All: First, thanks for all the help. Turns out this unit has already had one visit with Mr. Kaye, details to be provided upon receipt. We shall see. Meanwhile, I did a bit of surf shopping, here's what's out there as potential mates: Bryston .4b @ $400 CJ Sonographe SC-22 @ $250 Acurus RL-11 @ $450 Sound Valves SV-100 @ 250, VTP-101i @150 Carver C-1 @ $175 (now with Holographic Sound - Oooooooh!) Haffler DH-110 (w/ var mods by var co's) - avg $125 Sumo Athena @ $125, Artemis @ $600 AR SP-9 @ $600 (a previous recommendation, e-mail pending!) Anthem Pre-1 OR 2, L or L less, $600 to $700 and lastly a Melos MA-111 @ $400 excluding , of course, my current fave - DH-110 @ $95!!!! If the prices seem low, its because this is to be a budget second system. I'll be driving a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's, (being replaced in primary system) and the principal source will be a Thorens TD-180 turntable. Also, as this is my first foray into tubes, its a learning thing too, but mostly this is just for fun. The NYAL just fell into my hands, so... here I am. My thinking on the pre was that this particular amp is reputedly bass heavy, and the Paradigms are pretty forward and a mite bright, so I thought a ss pre would pass thru the treble for the tubes to tame, yet help to sharpen and define the bass. As noted, I don't know from tubes, so I'm more uncertain about the tube pre-amp options (though I know enough to know I can't go too far wrong with AR gear, and the Anthems seem well regarded by many). Anyway, pending contact with Messrs Kaye and Sand, I remain truly greatful for all your help and advice. Attack the list at will! chas