Power cord supplied with Luxman L-509X Integrated Amp

The power cord looks really cheap for such a quality amp. A polarized 2 prong male end to plug into the wall and only 2 prongs on the amp. What can I replace this with and not be unsafe? Seems all aftermarket power cables have 3 prongs.

Go to my virtual system for pictures.
thunderball

Showing 7 responses by holmz

Most eu equipment is double insulated and they rarely run a separate ground. Most equipment which is to be sold there would be two pronged.
A different cable may look nicer, but it is hard to not get the power into the gear with copper wires even if they are not pretty.

What is physically happening in the cable that produces a better sound out of the system?

And can it all be measured?
I still use a shielded power cord however. This covers the AC wires in a shield that is grounded at the outlet and has no connection at the Luxman for noise reduction. 

Where does the noise come from that gets in there without the shield?
And what is the mechanism that allows it to get in?
Radio. Every wire is an antenna. Do you understand how radio works? Transformers? Same thing.
There are NOT entirely the same thing…
The majority of antennas are primarily designed as E-Field devices, (at least if we ignore loop antennas for tracking bats and fish).

The majority of ground loop problems are predominantly due to magnetic fields and coupling of those fields.
In fact, in a toroidal transformer there are no/little external magnetic fields… So it is clearly not an antenna

And we have not as, of yet been presented with a clear picture of what frequency(ies) the noise is operating at, we don’t really have a lot to go on in any objective sense.
It is sounds like everything/everywhere is a source and there is a Yoda like “Disturbance in the Force” that is picked up be sentient equipment.

I am not saying the stuff doesn’t work, but when Bryson and Pass say don’t waste money on them, and there is no before and after showing some goodness is happening… then it looks it can be higher on magic, BS, nano particles (etc), and somewhat light on provable facts.

If the OP wants a new cord, then “more power to him”. At least they look nice.

The fact that many people I know swear by them is perplexing to me, but I have not had access to try any for a free demo… So I have no subjective opinion on their effectiveness..