Power Cable Break In - Such a Change!

I installed a new AudioQuest Dragon Source power cord from my Lumin X1 to my Niagara 7000. The power cord from the wall to the Niagara 7000 is also a Dragon but the High Current version. I bought that cord used.

So, when I first started using the new power cord everything sounded great. However, after a couple of days I started hearing a strident sound. Especially in the upper mid/ treble region. The bass was also constricted. I started blaming the sound change on another piece of equipment that was installed concurrently.

Now, I was under the impression that the Dragon power cord with its DBS system required no break in. But I did inquire about it to AudioQuest who responded that it would still need about 150 hours to break in. It's been close to that now and sure enough yesterday I started hearing the glorious sound that I heard from day one with the power cord only perhaps better.

I must say the difference during break in and now is quite remarkable, I don't remember any other power cord going through this amount of dramatic change.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Showing 3 responses by jpeters568

@ghdprentice

I didn't ask for anyone to measure the cable inductance, impedance, or resistance, I asked for a mic to be setup in the listening position, record cable 1, vs. cable 2 with all other things being equal. Maybe those who believe cables are awesome are right and the way cables have been measured are indeed all wrong. But for the differences described by using high end/ costly cables, by users who say you have to hear to believe, they claim there is a clear, audible difference in sound, which, should be easy to measure with this test. Null the recorded similarities, and present the differences between the cables from the same listening position, music, etc. 

And with all due respect, when you suggest science can't do something, after being trained in the filed, WTF do you believe in when science doesn't have an answer,  witchcraft? 

This is a SUPER simple test. Null the same things, present what is different. Don't measure the cable per se, but rather, the FR at a listening postion, all things being equal. Yet, not a single cable manufacture does it. Scientifically speaking, should I just believe the guy who claims a 4k cable sounds so much better, and it can't be measured, or, believe in other scientific, peer reviewed studies, about confirmation bias and why the person who spent 4k on a cable may believe it's better than just a $10 one? 

@rodman99999 - no. anyone with any "inkling" of the scientific process knows - you form a hypothesis, not a theory. Either you don't know the difference, which, may be very possible. Or worse, in your condescending message towards me, you use inexact language. Which, makes you inarticulate at best or just stupid at worst. . Which one are you? I assume, perhaps without merit, that you do know the difference between a theory and a hypothesis, right?

And btw. No, It is not always an observation to kick off the process. It can also be a question. And thank god again you were wrong about it or else we would never have known the theory of relativity. 

And 96%?!?! Really? If you want to quote something so specific, about something we don't know of, seriously, How smart are you? Because, we just don't know, what we don't know (As don Rumsfeld once put it.) 

But to the subject at hand, okay, I accept the hypothesis that you can't measure cables traditionally to find a difference in sound. Then, observation should be used next. And the observed things are that the bass is tighter, or the midrange more full, or the highs are more airy. Those are things that can be measured. Why have we not done that? Null tests can prove those differences, So why haven't the cable manufactures themselves performed these experiments? Or published these results? 

I don’t understand, with the descriptors often used for cables, how we don’t have clear measurements showing the “dramatic changes” users report hearing. I’m not suggesting testing the cable, but rather, testing the sound of cable 1 from the LP, and then contrasting that with the sound of cable 2 measured from the identical location? It’s easy to eliminate the duplicate sounds from both leaving just what has changed. The tighter bass, or the better/ different midrange, or airier highs, etc, should easily come through, right? 

So, why hasn’t that been done? Why has no cable manufacture shown this? For that matter, what proper test is there, video, showing people clearly able to identify cable 1 from 2? Especially considering there is “such a drastic difference?” Especially considering one cable can cost 10 bucks vs. 4K and more? 

To be clear, I’m not saying measure the cable, but record the sound and eliminate what is the same. Those audible differences can be measured. (Hell, toeing a speaker out on one side can be measured, so why not this?)