Power amps into surge protector/Conditioner or DIRECT to wall? Final verdict?

Just curious. I've heard for years not to plug amp into a surge protection evice. Does this apply to a preamp as well? Are the component fuses enough? Do affordable surge protection/conditioners exist that do not effect sound quality? 
Some of the mid line Furman studio units look nice. Plus you have the SurgeX/Brick devices that look like real winners. However, I'm not wanting any sound quality issues. BUT, I don't want my equipment destroyed as well. 

Thoughts please
aberyclark
Golly. What a fascinating thread. Just wanted to chime in and share my very recent experience with a Lithium-Ion battery powered generator. I think this is a kind of confusing name, and I was happy to see someone mention this technology on page 2 of this thread.
The brand I tried was a Goal Zero, model Yeti 1400. They have other models which use lead acid (car type) batteries which are less expensive. Much heavier, too.Anyway, in my system the beneficial impact of the Yeti was remarkable. I didn't know I had any noise in my system but it reduced the noise floor significantly, allowing microdynamics and nuances and musically important details to come through much more clearly. It was great and, IMHO, was more effective at reducing noise than the very larger Furman 15i or whatever it was I subsequently borrowed from my dealer.
markus +1
I mentioned the Yeti a couple days ago. After I get the Core Power Deep Core I will get one

Hi All,

Inhad the power company install a device into the power meter in the outside of the house. It provides protection from lighting strikes. It is billed extra monthly.  This along with Furman protection for system.