Power amp recommendations for 1000 and under

Hello all

I have budgeted $1000 dollars for a power amp (new or used) and wanted to know from people what they would buy in my position.

Thanks
krazeeyka3ab
Judging by the equipment that you listed, it would appear that you are striving for a system that is somewhat on the warm and smooth side rather than the ruthlessly revealing / ultra- detailed side. If that is the case, i would personally pick up the used Forte' 3 that is listed here on Agon for $350.

The Forte' 3 is a relatively richly biased Class AB amp that is rated at 200 wpc @ 8 ohms and 350 wpc @ 4 ohms. I know it to be an admirable performer and capable of driving low impedance ( 2 ohm ) loads without much of a fuss. If it is running properly, it will run pretty warm even at idle. It was built and designed by Nelson Pass when he owned / operated Threshold and would be classified as sounding very "sweet, delicate and airy" when everything is dialed in properly.

The low price of this unit leaves you plenty of money to replace the bridge rectifiers with better diodes, install additional filter caps and have a better power cord installed. If you are handy at all, you can do all of the above, including parts and the cost of the amp, for under $500. You will not find an amp that would touch this unit in terms of air, depth / width of soundstage, clarity and focus of image, harmonic "rightness" and just an overall sense of "musicality" in terms of the money invested.

The one drawback to this amp is that it must be left on 24 hrs a day if you want to get max performance / best sonics out of it. This is true of most amps that run warm during normal operation. It will sound best after a 48 - 72 hour "warm-up" period. It is also load sensitive, so if you were to go with some type of highly capacitive speaker cables like Goertz, Chris VH's CAT 5 design or a long run of Kimber 8TC, etc..., you would need to make use of a Zobel ( impedance compensation ) network. This should not scare you ( or anybody else ) from trying this combo, as most of them work very nicely together in my experience. Sean
>
McIntosh MC7100, Classe CA100, or Conrad-Johnson 2250, because I like warm, musical sound with very good soundstage. They each can be had used, only a few years old, for $700 or so.
Hello all,

This response is in regard to Sean's last posting about the statement "Judging by the equipment that you listed, it would appear that you are striving for a system that is somewhat on the warm and smooth side rather than the ruthlessly revealing / ultra- detailed side." I was wondering how you were able to know that. I am relatively new audiophile and have much to learn. I just wanted to know if there was some obvious piece of information that you used to determine this. For example, are Vandersteen speakers generally aimed at providing that "warm" sound vs. another brand. Quite frankly, the reason I am asking this is because I do not really know the definition of "warm" in context to sound. Im trying to learn a little about myself as well. I am guessing that I do like the warm sound more since I prefer the sound of Sonus Faber speakers compared to equivalently priced B&W's. Unfortunately, I do not know how big a role amplifiers play in this since the system I heard the Sonus Fabers with was comprised of Rotel equipment and the B&W's were hooked up to Classe equipment.

Again, Thanks
Sean, I'm not familiar with the Forte' other than the 4's. When these were new the rags kinda ragged on the other than 4 models. I had no idea they were that stable into lower impedances. In as much as I liked the 4's and they certainly sounded more powerful than their 50 watt rating, I really needed more power. Perhaps I've been missing out on a top quality bargain with the other models. Would you us a more detailed descritption of them from your perspective? Sorry for going off thread everyone.