Polk Audio LSi 15 - are these the REAL DEAL ???

I just came back from a friend's listening room where he has a nice set-up. Some megabuck amplifiers and digital front end, and for speakers, I had not noticed the manufacturer, but I assumed they were the ''esoteric, expensive kind''. After 20 minutes, he left the room to answer the phone, I stood up to check what the speakers were.What's this? Holy smokes ! POLK AUDIO LS i15 !!! I was floored by the sound, but more by the fact that a Polk speaker could find it's way into such ''high end'' company.

They sure sounded good, no make that excellent, but is it because of the excellent surrounding components or are they simply a well-kept secret ?

I am very much interested in hearing if others have also found these speakers to be good sounding for the money and if they really belong in a high-end system, or is the combination I heard just a fluke?

Any input will help as I'm looking for speakers right now, thanks all !
audiokicks45ee
audiokicks - It's funny you mention SimAudio because I use one of their intergrateds to drive the LSi9's and a buddy I know online uses a W-3 with Anthem pre with great results...but hearing and audio is subjective, I wish you luck
Lush, thanks for your comments. Concerning the Moon products by Sim Audio, I wish I could go into details but I better not...I have owned a couple of Moon I-5,s ( 5 years apart) and sonically, I could never get to like that sound. I guess I was a sucker for good looks. Furthermore, I had issues with them. The first had a faulty volume control that would take a sudden discharge of static electricity from me touching the knob (from walking on carpeting). My volume control went from 15 to 50 in a snap, and blew my speakers at the time. The second unit had been under servicing a few times. The Moon units look nice, but it's nothing to me if it's not reliable. I'm sure they corrected the problems, but in all honesty, for gear this expensive Sim's service/claims dept need to treat their customers better. Above all, it has to sound involving enough - and that's where they just didn't do it for me....but try, I sure did!
Audiokicks

I also am a Polk LSi15 owner, and I also find it to be superior to the LSi25. Getting that active sub to mix well with the rest of the speaker its a bit of work.

Having said that, I drive my speakers with a Perreaux Radiance R200i integrated and love the sound. The one thing about the LSi15s is that you need an amp with a high damping factor to control the woofer on the speaker, otherwise they may sound a little loose on the bottom end. So, you almost certainly want to drive them with a solid state amp. Prior to having the R200i, I drove them with a Perreaux 200iP. That produced a slightly different sound, one that seem to be, not as neutral, but seemed to have a little bit of more body to it (I'm talking about very minimal differences here). That is a very satisfying integrated amp that won't cost an arm and a leg, and will make your speakers sing.
Say the words "Polk" amidst a hifi crowd and prepare to be given a duncecap or in some extreme cases - whippings.

Ok, so maybe it is not that dramatic, duncecap’s are only given half of the time. Bottom of the line is that the LSi series was and still is a very well built, great sounding series that continues to offer solid value in the market. The LSi series has also managed to stay under the radar for 5 years now. Recent representation in the chain Tweeter has given this half a decade series some exposure and finally, people are starting to get a chance to know that these products exist.

Unfortunately, Polk has a stigma in hifi (be it car audio or home audio) and many people will listen to the name first. Secondly, the LSi series truly requires very specific positioning and high tone electronics many (mostly salesmen) would think un-necessary for a speaker of their price range. While it is great to see Polk’s series being exposed, there are still issues of people getting half-way decent demo’s. This is certainly an instance that Polk does not stand alone in, and is the price of mass exposure.

Yes, Virginia, they are the ‘real deal’.
I talked with one of the heads at Polk Audio, off the record. In Canada at least, they had presented the entire line to many independants. The number 1 response given upon listening? "These are great speakers, tremendous value...but if I carry these, B&W will yank there line from my store". Politics play a big part. It could be considered Polk Audio's own fault when they decided to sell more downstream and leave many independants out to hang many years ago with the SDA's.