Pls Recommend Streamer Under $500 for Tidal “HiFi”

I’m searching for the best sounding streamer under $500 that supports Tidal’s “HiFi” lossless playback. I understand that r2r DAC is desirable, and if possible, I’d like to use the streamer as a DAC for my CD transport and play and store files from my NAS. The unit doesn’t need to have a preamp / integrated amp as I’ll be connecting it to my existing preamp which is feeding vertically bi-amped Energy Reference Connoisseur 70 speakers. Thanks for your suggestions!
128x128sleepwalker65

Showing 1 response by double-dutch

I have a Raspberry Pi ($35) with a HifiBerry Digi+ PRO ($40). The Raspberry runs Volumio with a MyVolumio subscription ($40/year) that streams both Tidal MQA and Qobuz. Volumio can also play files stored locally (USB drive or SD card) or on a NAS (ethernet or WiFi) in all formats and resolutions. It is operated through a web browser on a device of your choice on your local network. The Digi+ is a HAT for the Raspberry Pi that uses I2S to connect directly to the CPU (no USB conversion) and provides SPDIF and Toslink outputs for your pre amp. I use the DAC in my Peachtree 220SE integrated amp. The Raspberry Pi cannot be used as a DAC for your CD transport, but other than that is a cheap and very effective setup that sounds fabulous...