Plinth ideas for DENON PD-80 DD turntable

While my pair of Victor TT-101 still sleeping in the storage, i decided to buy another Flying Saucer.

The DENON DP-80, vintageknob always have nice images and info about rare stuff...

On that page you see DP-80 with DA-401 tonearm for hich compliance cartridges (i have this tonesm NOS). It could be an interesting project, it was hard to resist ...

The question is the Plinth for this Denon DP-80.
The original DK-300 plinth is an option, but searching for something better i found this one.

Custom made plinth is always an option and i have superb Audio-Technica AT-616 pneumatic insulators to use under the plinth.

But what do you guys using with your Denon PD-80 ?

P.S. some companies now producing even an iron cast plinth and graphite plinth, i have no access to graphite, but iron cast here is cheap to make a custom plinth.
128x128chakster

Showing 7 responses by genesis168

Just bought a Denon DP80 and it came with a stone plinth. Cut out and mounting holes look like it’s made for DP80. It’s definitly vintage and most likely aftermarket made for Denon. Wondering what plinth it might be.
Chakster. The stock DK300 is a nice plinth. Constrained layer. I had a DP80 with an FR64s on it. Actually sounded great. Sold it last year to a friend who really wanted it badly. Just picked up another DP80 on a stone plinth. Wondering if there are any other options for nice plinths. 
The plinth is solid. Well made but the feet is the weak spot there. Poorly executed. The feet on the DK300 can be upgraded to Stillpoints or equivalent. I was going to do it but it sold before I had the chance to do it. It’s basically a little plastic piece with a threaded stud screwed on to the plinth with small wood screws and the feet screws on to the stud.
Hi fast mick, I also have the DK2300double arm plinth. Too bad it wouldn’t take a 12”. Both the DK300 and the 2300 are really solid and well built. Get the feet changed and take it to the next level!
75 and 80 are essentially the same. Looks exactly the same too except for the switch and knob which you will never use anyways. Just a thought. Other lower models are not worth the effort in my opinion. 

Og also put out a nice copper mat on it when you’re done. I had a micro on mine. 
The DP80 is a remarkable turntable. I’ve used one in a secondary system for a while. The sound is between the SP10/2 and belt drives. A good overall compromise. The 75 is easier to source. Basically the exact same as the 80 but without the pitch control and quartz lock defeat switch to which I think is useless. Tell your friend to get a Dp75 and it will be a substantial upgrade to his Pro-Ject. Currently have a DP75 in the DK2300 plinth and a DP80 in a stone plinth.

On on a side note besides the feet, you can fabricate a better armboard out of brass or stainless. A good machine shop will be able to make one for you if you have the original.
Thanks for clarifying. From the specs they seem to be identical. I’ve opened them but not side by side. Yes it’s a spring loaded platter. Have been using the copper on it for a good while with no ill effects.