Platter Upgrade for Garrard 301

I am toying with the idea of upgrading my analog system to the next level up from my VPI scout. I've heard alot of talk about great performance from a Garrard 301 coupled with a upgraded plinth that I could buy from various sources, such as Oswald Mill Audio or Shindo, among others. However, I rarely hear about other upgrades for the Garrard. Isn't the platter a key component that should be a contender for an upgrade? I know Shindo makes such a platter, but they seem to be ultra expensive. There must be a less expensive alternative? Also, what other upgrades should I consider to a Garrard? Thanks, Mark
mcmprov
Hartmut,

Thats awesome. Once again your true colors come through via Weisselk. You never stop embarrassing yourself!
Vinyljh, would you please stop your business talk. The emperor has no clothes, regardless what you pretend.
Try o-rings around your 301 platters, you may be very surprised!
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1230934215&openflup&17&4#17
Jonathan: now that you have listened to the 3 idler wheel classics with your slate plinth, for you wich one you like better of them: Garrard 301, Thorens TD 124 or Lenco L 75, with same arm, cartridge and system ?
Try o-rings around your 301 platters, you may be very surprised!

Try them around your volume control knobs too, you may be surprised!

Bob