Pioneer DV-37 vs. Sony DVP-9000ES

I have been waiting for the new Pioneer DV-37 progressive scan DVD player to be released, and noticed that Sony will release the DVP-9000ES soon. I am wondering which DVD player will have the best picture. Pioneer has always edged out Sony in picture quality, if not ergonomics. The new DVP-9000ES has a new 12 bit video DAC, and the Pioneer has a 10 bit. As a soon to be buyer I want the best video quality first, audio second. The SACD capability of the Sony throws a monkey wrench into the decision. It will be very hard to compare the two machines now. Even IF the Pioneer beat the Sony in a direct video comparison, the SACD factor is a big plus if it sounds anywhere near as good as their more expensive SACD players. Any advice or opinions would be most appreciated.
bmpnyc

Showing 1 response by kmccarty

One caveat in my response - I changed video displays at the same time I "upgraded" from the Pioneer DV-05 to the Sony DVP-9000ES. In comparison - the Sony is grainier and colors are not as realistic. The Sony's controls are quirky and unresponsive sometimes. But, CDs and SACDs sound superb. I have a Theta Gen V D to A processor, and the Sony CD sound definitely gives the Theta a run for its money. SACD is in a league by itself. Anyone have advice in tuning in the Sony DVP9000es and Sony 36XBR400 combo? I've tried Avia test disc...