Physically connect a Bluesond Node 2i to a downline, stand alone Chord Qutest DAC

I want to use my Bluesound Node 2i as just a streamer...then connect it to the Chord Qutest DAC.  Is there is anyone out there who has done this and, if so, what physical connection did you use? Jim 
pfeiffer

Showing 9 responses by hilly230

Also my Node 2i is wired on ethernet from the router. I'm gonna try wifi to see if that makes a difference! No idea how it could, but nothing else makes sense!
(I can hear jazzman7 coughing politely and saying something about interconnects ;)
I have a Node 2i and Qutest and they are hooked up as follows:
Node 2i RCA analog out into channel 1 of amp. Node 2i coax/optical digital out into Qutest then RCA analog from Qutest into channel 2 of amp. So I can A/B test.
I'm baffled. They both sound EXACTLY the same.
Not even the subtlest difference. Switching between channels 1 and 2 on the amp sounds like not switching at all.
The amp is a Roksan Caspian M2 integrated so should reveal differences if there are any. But they sound IDENTICAL.
I have A/B tested the Qutest with other DACs and can clearly hear how the Qutest outshines them. But through the Node 2i ... no difference between the Node's own DAC and the Qutest. 
Optical vs coax makes no difference either to my ears.
I have had friends listen and agree there is no difference. 
Any ideas?

ddude003, Thanks, I’ve tried that. With (manual) level balancing, still same SQ. Both very good, but from past experience with Qutest vs other DACs I would expect the FPGA 'Chord sound’ from it compared to a more standard Burr-Brown implementation as in the Node 2i.
Either the Node’s DAC is as good as Qutest or it is passing data to the Qutest in a way that hampers the latter somehow.
It’s not ’different but equally good’ but the EXACT same.
I would expect SOME difference.
Based on this experience I could sell the Qutest and be happy. But the FOMO part of me feels that Qutest is not fully singing with the Node 2i as transport.
Others report clear differences with the same streamer & DAC combo.
Wondering if I’m missing something.

jazzman7 I've always been a cable sceptic, but this might send me down that rabbit hole. Got a digital coax cable you recommend?
I’m starting to doubt that digital outputs from the Node 2i are bit perfect.
Some processing is going on in there before the digital output.
Otherwise, how to explain the extreme (in my system, to my ears) similarity of Node 2i internal DAC and Qutest feeding off the Node?
When I A/B test Qutest against other DACs using USB and UAPP, the differences are obvious.
But everything downstream of the Node 2i sounds the same (in my limited experience)?
That seems plain wrong.
Nothing against the Node, it’s a fantastic product. Just puzzled as to why my precious Qutest, which is meant to be a pretty significant 'upgrade' to it, sounds EXACTLY the same as its internal DAC.
@jazzman7 Thanks for the comments. I am not discounting your suggestion of trying different interconnects. At the moment it's a Chord C-Digital coaxial and a cheap Toslink. I have tried the Chord cable vs a cheapo one and heard zero difference, which only increased my scepticism about cables. But I am trying to keep an open mind. I just want to think it through before spending on interconnects.
I agree about 'NADness' from the Node potentially colouring everything downstream. After all, when I use UAPP on USB from an Android phone into the Qutest and other dacs I own, I can clearly hear the Qutest is far better, almost holographic, etc. UAPP is definitely bit perfect digital output. Not so sure about the Node. Bluesound support say the Node's output is bit perfect even with variable volume, which raises an eyebrow. 
I might use UAPP on USB out of Android for serious listening, and use the Node 2i for convenience when I'm wandering around. 
But that doesn't explain why you in your system with your ears can clearly hear the difference when feeding the Qutest from the Node. Maybe your system is better. I've got a good amp and speakers and fairly experienced ears though, so I'd expect them to be resolving enough. 
The mystery continues ... I hear you about interconnects, but want to explore a bit more before splashing out on them.
@ddude003 Yes, I'm using TIDAL and the Node 2i is an MQA renderer. But it's the same with CD-quality tracks from TIDAL too, internet radio, everything. 
I'm going to try the same setup with a different amp I have to see if it's the amp that is putting out the same sound regardless of input!
I'll post again when I've done that. 
Thanks for the input/output!
Thanks for all the help guys. FYI I have cut the Gordian knot and bought a Naim Uniti Atom one-box streaming system. I guess I ran out of patience with all this.
Anybody want a Roksan Caspian M2 integrated, a Node 2i and a Qutest?
:D