Phono Stage, Tonearm, Cartridge Question - Which is the most important?

I’ve been on this site for some time and have always been impressed with the amount of knowledge here.  I am a music lover to the core and I really enjoy the end result of high-end audio.  Over the past 3-4 years I have significantly upgraded my system based on advice here and from professional retailers. I have no technical skills or background but would say I have graduated from “I don’t know what I don’t know” to “I know what I don’t know” with what I don’t know being quite a lot.  I am, however, intellectually curious and eager to understand how things work.

With that background, my question is this. When considering the phono stage, tonearm and cartridge chain, which component is the most significant determinant of how a record sounds? I know everyone has different views about how something should sound but which of the three components has the greatest impact on how something will sound and why?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

@puppyt

Ag insider logo xs@2xpuppyt

How the TT>TA>Cart' is supported on a Structure is an extremely important consideration.

When this is optimised, the Phonostage will then be better supported to carry out its role in the Signal Path.

IF, existing system, you have a TT, and some kind of Phono EQ in your Preamp

1. find a better sounding Phono Stage. Buy with return privileges’, it may take a few until you find one you really like. i.e. making your existing cartridge sound better.

2. NOW, knowing the Phono Stage is a keeper, it’s time for a better cartridge.

You will hear the most change via the cartridge, now through a phono stage you know is doing a great job. That’s why Phono Stage 1st.

a. MM Moving Magnet. There is the issue of ’wonderful sounding’, which is subjective, read reviews, research, ask specific advice.

b. There is the issue of IMAGING. That is revealed in the cartridges specifications, two of them very relevant to IMAGING.

b1. Wide Channel Separation

b2. Tight Channel Balance. Importantly to refine what is within that wide separation.

b3. My recommended MM Cartridge (to start or move up from a basic one):

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/type/moving-magnet/vm540ml-h

channel separation :28db; channel balance: 1.0 db; microlinear stylus tip.

A great LP helps you hear the Imaging Differences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_Night_in_San_Francisco

the last two tracks on side two: all 3 guitarists play.

a. get it in CD, so no imaging error is involved

b. get it in LP. IF your cartridge is properly aligned, it should sound/image the same, if not, then something is wrong with cartridge setup, fix it.

c. now, TT sounding like CD, listen to the Imaging, wide? tight? hear center/left/right guitars more distinctly? 

3. Move UP to the advanced technology of MC Moving Coil Cartridge (MC: lightweight coil inside a magnet rather than a MM: heavy magnet within a coil). Same thing, reviews, recommendations, ask for specific advice, research, don’t forget Channel Separation and Balance for imaging.

MC low signal strength (some are MC High Output signal strength) takes more advantage of MC technology’s. That low signal needs to be ’pre-boosted’ up to typical MM cartridge strength, then Phono Equalized like any phono signal.

Either the Phono Stage you bought has MC capability, OR, like me, you use a SUT Step Up Transformer to boost the MC low signal strength UP to MM signal strength.

My recommended MC Cartridge: (to start or move up from a basic one):

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/cartridges/type/moving-coil/at33ptg-2

Channel Separation: 30db; tight channel balance 0.5db; similar Microlinear Stylus Tip, now on a stiffer Boron cantilever.

4. Now: a better TT, and a better tonearm.

I recommend a tonearm with a removable headshell, so you can easily change cartridges, yours or hear a friends cartridge thru your system, and perhaps a MONO cartridge IF you get into Jazz, hearing the developing years of many Jazz greats, which typically leads you back to Mono LPs (stereo came out in 1958).

CAREFUL selection of used may get you ’more’ than new TTs in your budget.

I prefer DDQL, Direct Drive Quartz Locked Speed, Heavy Platter, Heavy Base, successful Isolation.

This question is really a moving target. Especially as you move from one tier / class of gear to a higher one.

But in my cumulative experience, cartridge and phono stage are decidedly most impactful to the net result. Of course you don’t want to egregiously mismatch cartridge to arm, or throw a $10K cart on a $500 deck - but if we eliminate the silly hypothetical scenarios like that, then cart & phono (and their match to each other!) are usually most crucial. Both of these components have 2 of hardest jobs in 2ch audio (speakers and electrostatic headphone amplifiers are way up there too).