Phono stage price range 1500 to 2000 dollars.

Looking to upgrade my phone stage I have a tavish vintage. I am looking at black ice 159,Gold note PH-10 and pathos in the groove any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigmac1963

You do not say what is wrong with the tavish....have you tried rolling some tubes into it? How about moving up to the Adagio by tavish? That one I think can be had for $2190. I think the Adagio was or is Herb Reichert’s reference phono stage. I use my tavish the classic with all NOS tubes, RCA, GE. And Sylvania. I also use it with a Jensen SUT running a Hana EL. Tavish just so happens to use Jensen sourced transformers In the M/C section of the Adagio. In both the vintage and the classic, you must use the MM section to fully make use of the tubes. The M/C section of both uses jfets to boost the low output of a M/C cartridge. Better to use an SUT into the M/M section, if you are using a moving coil.

I use a Hana el cartridge and my settings that I use is M/C.So you are saying to use my M/M setting for a better result with the tubes.

You might look at the AAW  Black Swan for $1500, multi cartridge inputs , Front panel cartridge loading, unbelievable low noise and clarity, doesn't sound like tube or SS., sound like the cartridge.   Black Swan - austinaudioworks.com

You cannot go wrong with Audio Research PH5 unit. There is one currently available for $1,400 with remote and original packing. I use the same phone stage. You have many options for tube rolling with 4 x 6922 tubes if you decided to do so. Highly recommended.

Sutherland 20/20

the most silent phone stage you will encounter regarding noise 

from gain as a lot of other stages suffer from.  You can get a new one at the 

top of your budget. Super versatile loading for almost any cart

Good luck! Willy-T