Phono preamp suggestions under $1000

I have 2 turntables, both with mm cartridges. I would like the flexibility of the preamp handling a mc cartridge if I decided to make the change. I listen to streaming music and vinyl albums. Music choice is often jazz, blues, and 70s rock (if that matters). Thank you 
glfrancis2

Showing 4 responses by chakster

The Gold Note indeed can handle two MM or two MC or MM & MC depends on the input settings.
But a cheaper MM phono stage with optional loading for MM/MI cartridges can be better than Gold Note at lower price, actually i have both (Gold Note and JLTi), look at JLTi mk5 at $1000 with shipping, ask the manufacturer to change internal resistors so you can use not only 47k Ohm (RCA plug parallel resistors) for MM but also 100k Ohm for MM which is a benefit for many MM/MI cartridges!
I wonder why this piece of Schiit is in every posts on audiogon ?

P.S. I bought PS-10 power supply for my Gold Note PH-10, but the bass does not improved at all, actually the bass with this phono stage is very thin compared to 2 other phono stages i have in use. Thin bass with every cartridge (i have many MM, MI, MC). I wonder why? 

JLTi phono stage is far better in low register, nobody even know this phono stage on audiogon, except for a few users. It can be found for under $1000 used (mk4 version).   
Just read more about JLTi from other users on audiogon here.
Very few people on here know what it is and i am surprised about it, instead we have that cheap piece of schiit in every posts, crazy world. People eat what has been advertised, but a lot of interesting stuff is not on radars. 
What you are forgetting is the OP wants 2 phono inputs. That is why the GoldNote was recommended.  

well, a cheap phono stage with two input is some sort of utopia, the Gold Note is not cheap at all, and to be honest, with all the usability benefits it is not better than JLTi in my system.

The Gold Note PH-10 is not good for MM cartridges, because there is no way to unload the cartridge up to 100 000 Ohm. The Gold Note is better for LOMC cartridges with great optional loading that this phono stage can give. But for MM they got only 47 000 Ohm and 20 000 Ohm (to make MM cartridge dull with roll off freq.). 

Like the OP i like MM/MI cartridges and a perfect phono stage for them is modified JLTi, the manufacturer can made a mod and a buyer can use optional RCA plug-in load Resistors for MM (100k is always better for mabny MM/MI cartridges). This is great, but the trade-off is only one input with a gain switch, same input can be used for MM or LOMC. The price is great (mk4 is under $1k), i am using mk4, the mk5 with better power supply available too for a price near $1k.