Phono Preamp suggestions?

My current system is set up as so:

- McIntosh MA6100 Integrated
- Linn Sondek LP12 w/ Lingo, EKOS arm, Arkiv cart

I've already determined the onboard phono stage on the MA6100 is not going to cut it for this low voltage MC cart; so, what would be a good phono preamp to handle this type of situation? Is a step up headamp or transformer an option also? Or rather, what features should I look for in a phono preamp to make this set up most efficient?

Thanks!
clonefall
Hello,

I have a very similar setup to yours. I currently run a McIntosh MA6100 with an LP12 (Valhalla, Basik Plus and Adikt). I love my vintage Mac but I think you need to take this opportunity to improve your phono stage. I recently determined that the phono in the 6100 is the weak link in my system (and your LP12 is better than mine). I am in the process of getting a Lehmann Black Cube - I am hoping that it will tighten up the sound. I love the warm McIntosh house sound but I feel that the phono in the 6100 is just not up to modern standards - when I posted a question about this on Canuck Audio Mart someone described it as lazy which I think is a good description. I still love the MA6100 with a digital source and I do not see myself changing it anytime soon.
I've owned my McIntosh MA6100 since 1973. I used it for many years with a Thorens TD-150 turntable and various Shure/Stanton, etc. MM cartridges. But when I bought an Audible Illusions preamp in 1993, I found the phono stage was WORLDS better than that in the Mac.

This past couple of years, for the first time I moved away from an integrated solution to a dedicated phono stage. I still vaguely resent the lack of full-function preamps or amps with great phono stages. Just what we need, another box, power cord, interconnects, etc. (RANT MODE OFF).

One combination that I tried with good success was a Benz PP-1 phono stage with the McIntosh MA6100. The Benz in another system sounded a bit dry, but the Mac has a gentler way with high frequencies and the combination with the Benz was extremely nice. Very clean, articulate and detailed, and quite lovely overall. Good bass. I found the Benz worked will with several lower output MC cartridges (Shelter 501 & 901), but it is limited in your ability to load the cartridge. The good news, you can find the Benz PP-1 around quite cheap (under $500) and the combo is something special with the Mac, IMHO. Don't know how the Benz would work with your very low output Adikt. But worth a try!
I have a friend that came to me for a phono stage recommendation.He has a Linsondek LP 12 with Lingo ,Ekos Arm .I put in an order for a new Audia Flight for him and it is asolutely stunning in transparancy and dead quiet. I carry the Audia Flight phono pre amp and it hands down will kill anything at the price points of $6k to $12k. I am biased since i replaced Aestheix Rhea and also Manley Steelhead for the Flight and loved it so much i became a dealer.Please underestand that this is not a sales call.I am not familiar with the integrated so i cant give you my opinion on it. I do have other suggestions.What is your budget and what are other gears like,ie speakers ,interconnect etc. FYI Audia FLIGHT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO BREAK HOWEVER IT SOUNDS GREAT RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX . If you want to get more info on it let me know.