Phono preamp comparison/Pass,Herron,Avid

I am shopping for a new phono preamp to mate with my Basis 2500/Vector 4 arm combo. The cartridge is a Dynavector xx2 mk ii . I have narrowed my search to a Pass Labs XP-15, a Herron VTPH-2 and perhaps an Avid Pellere. Research in the analog forum reveals a couple of recommendations for the XP-15 and xx2 combo, but I have found no direct comparisons of the Pass and Herron units. I find very little on the Avid either but it is a newer unit. I would be interested in hearing from you if you have one of these units on why you chose it and how it impacted your system. I have Pass and Avid dealers in my town but neither has a unit to demo presently. If you are wondering what my goals are, at this price point, they are transparency, neutrality and low bass fidelity.
Thanks in advance for your posts.
teeshot

Showing 2 responses by swanny76109

Hi Teeshot, I have the XP15 with the XX2mk2 on my VPI Classic 1 and it's a great combination. I have found you need a lot of gain with this cartridge. I run the XP15 at 66 db gain loaded at 100 ohms into my Pass XP10 pre which provides another 10 db gain. The XP15 does everything very well, esp the midrange, and bass control is astounding. It's completely smooth and grain free. Very flexible in terms of loading and gain, but the tiny switches on the back are a bit of a pain to dial in. When everything is set up properly, excellent recordings sound fully three dimensional, wide and deep. Poor recordings can't hide but they can be bearable with the XP. I listen to a lot of rock and jazz and it does those genres great, but everything sounds great on this phono pre. You can work with Mark at RenoHiFi and get a great deal and a 2 week trial. I have not heard the Herron or the Avid but considered those brands while shopping for mine. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hey Kennyb-- I agree that the XP15 was also one of the biggest upgrades in my system. Of course I was replacing a PS audio GCPH so it was an exponential upgrade. I have no doubt the importance of the phono stage in any system. It's a real good place to spend money.

@teeshot--I bet you are having a blast at Axpona right now. Do fill us in about what you go with.