Phono interconnect under $500 used

I am using Mogami 2549 interconnects at the moment to connect from the tonearm to my phonostage. It is good, well balanced tonally with macro dynamics and speed. However I get a feeling that I am missing on outright resolution. Is it a realistic expectation to find another interconnect within $500 (used) which will have the fine balance of Mogami yet improves on the resolution ? I am not looking at the latest and the greatest but rather a proven IC for phono connection.
pani
I am happy with the Silver Dragon phono cable from moonaudio.com in Raleigh. It is custom made to your length and connections from ~$200 to 350.
Hi Al. That's a long sentence :) the answer is 'yes', or 'sort of'.

A better way of looking at it is that once the proper loading is achieved (which is a combination of capacitance and resistive elements, usually the cable being the capacitance), then it will be found that the cable is really not contributing to the sound.

With your typical LOMC, the capcitance will play a very small role as the impedance of the cartridge might only be 10 ohms with perhaps 100 ohms at the other end. It would take quite a large amount of capacitance to mess with that at audio frequencies.

You can see where I am going with this- its entirely a different matter at RF frequencies. It is the RF aspects that usually describe how effective the loading of a LOMC cartridge actually is.

So- the cable might have some effect (although not artifact) at RF frequencies, but certainly not at audio frequencies.

That is the nature of 'sort of' :)

Atmasphere says
The phono cartridge is a balanced source. Zd542, if you hear differences in balanced cables, then the equipment you are using is not supporting the balanced standard.

Using your logic, since most cartridges sound different even when using balanced cables then the phono cartridge is not supporting the balanced standard.

03-28-13: Dougdma
Using your [Atmasphere's] logic, since most cartridges sound different even when using balanced cables then the phono cartridge is not supporting the balanced standard.
Dougdma, I fail to see the logic in YOUR statement. Ralph did not say that cartridges or other equipment supporting the balanced standard all sound the same. That would be absurd, of course. What he said was that equipment supporting the balanced standard will eliminate sonic differences between the cables that are used to connect that equipment.

His point about the sonic quality of many recordings from the so-called "golden age" of hifi, which in many cases were recorded in halls necessitating extremely long cable lengths, and which pre-dated the advent of exotic cables, seems to me to be persuasive proof of that contention.

Also, note that his response to my question above leaves open the possibility that in the specific case of a phono cable, used in a balanced configuration with a LOMC cartridge, there might still be perceptible differences between cables if the design of the phono stage is such that audible frequencies can be affected by ultrasonic or RF energy that may be present at its input. That energy perhaps being introduced by the recording, in the ultrasonic region, or perhaps by something else, in the RF region.

It should be noted, btw, that moving magnet and other high output cartridges, with their higher impedances, are a different story altogether.

Regards,
-- Al
Pani asked a realtively simple question and perhaps, so far, has gotten more than he originally asked for. Interesting how these threads can sometimes divert from the initial question posed. I sure learned some things here.

Going back to recommendations based on some of the above talk about cartridge impedance; I know that the VPI cable is made of the same conductor material and configuration as what they use in their arm, the reasoning being that the phono cable will simply be an extension of that to the phono preamp. The idea being that if you are using similar material in your arm conductor, this would simply extend the electrical properties to conduct and not harm the signal. What I DO know is that the VPI cable is as good as my much more expensive Harmonic Technologies silver phono cable and costs far less.