Phase Linear

Has anyone used amps with this name? I have heard that it was designed by Bob Carver. Are these no longer manufactured?

kt_88
I had a PL 440 self destruct in the '80s, taking out the speaker drivers on one channel.

You might be interested in The Official Phase Linear Web Site.

Lots of history, technical, and repair information.
I've been a sound engineer for the past 30 years(a tech for years before that. I'm currently the sound tech for two local bands and my church. This gives me the opportunity to listen to live music(acoustic and amplified) at least twice a week(generally more). Live music has always been the criterion by which I judged a system's accuracy(timbre, soundstaging, rendition of the human voice, frequency response, pace, etc). My recordings are pieces that I am familiar with regarding venue, recording technique and artists. I've never heard a system that sounded live with anything designed by Bob Carver employed in it(from the early 80's through the 90's. Then again: I haven't heard any of his latest designs, and understand that some are quite good(the highest priced pieces).
I beg to differ. Bob Carver has had many excellent products over the last few decades. One thing for sure, you will never see a Sunfire product at Circuit City. The Only Carver products that ever made it to Circuit City, and that type of store,were post "Bob Carver days" products from Carver Corp. If you check your history, Sunfire was operating as it's own company when the non Bob Carver "Carver Corp" was selling junk at Circuit City. Very unbalanced opinion of real Bob Carver engineered products. Last,there was no shortage of competition in those days either. I would place any of the real carver products as above average for the day.
I had a PL 400 for over 10 years. It sounded great. I used with EPI 602s, Maggi MG IIs and Theil CS 3.5 speakers.

I sold my Mac 2105 amp & C-26 pre amp to "upgrade" to the PL and DB System preamp. The PL/DB was IMHO much more dynamic, detailed and fun to listen to than the Mac combo.

Finally upgraded to Spectral & Bryston for the Theil's in 1987. Better than the PL / DB system combo, albeit at 9x the money.

MY PL was taken to many parties to play on other peoples speakers. Never had an issue beyond an occassional blown fuse. I auditioned dozens of amp pre amp combinations back then and the PL was $ for $ hard to beat.

I have fond memories of the joy mine brought to me and my friends.
Thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on the following:

I just bought a 400 series 2 amp in exc. cosmetic condition. I brought it home and hooked it up, and it seemed to be working fine. However, about 2 minutes in, and just as I was about to crank things up a bit, it made a sound like a tire losing air and began to smoke rather wildly. Needless to say, my listening session ended...

Anyway, just wondering what people think about either fixing this thing up through the folks on the web that do such things or maybe hooking the perfect faceplate and cool led meters up to a more stable vintage amp (Hafler?). I know the latter plan might represent heresy to some, but I thought it might be cool to have the level adjustability and meters of this faceplate with the reliability of a (cosmetically challenged) Hafler 200/220/500. Any expert opinions on whether such a hookup would work would be appreciated.

Given the variety of opinions on the sound quality of this amp, I don't know whether there will be a clear answer to the question of restoration, but I figured I'd see what you have to say.