Phantom Supreme to 4Point-14?

I'm considering it. Who's done it and what did you think? Members who've heard a head-to-head comparison are also welcome to chime in.

The turntable is an SP10R in Artisan Fidelity plinth. Cartridges at this point are an mainlyan A90 and Benz Ebony TR, but I'm planning for a MSL Gold or Platinum sometime down the road.

Thanks.

wrm57

Nandric, I am feeling very old.  I will tell my wife to offer you the L07D upon my expiration. I am not sure what is the bone of contention regarding vintage and Japanese turntables, but for what it's worth, I bought all my vintage Japanese TTs here in the good old USA (not always good and certainly not old by Japanese or European standards).  The L07D came from a guy in Queens, a borough of NYC.  The NOS Technics SP10 Mk3 was sniffed out by a non-audiophile but collector friend of mine in Miami, FL.  The owner had owned it for many decades, sitting in its box in his closet.  It took quite a bit of haggling to get it from him at a reasonable price. I cannot even recall where I found the Victor TT101, but it took 2 years and the serendipitous discovery of JP Jones and his expertise to get it running properly.  Since then, it's been totally reliable. The Denon DP80 came from a fairly well known and well regarded dealer in CA, somewhere.  The DP80 needed a new chip, probably owing to the fact it is a 100V unit that was run at 120V in CA.  I found the "unobtainable" chip on Alibaba.

For what it's worth, my prodigal son in Tokyo could not care less about my hobbies or audio per se.  He is a complete ascetic. Generally, he prefers not to intervene to help me purchase items in Japan, but during our most recent visit, he caved in and spoke on my behalf, in Japanese, to a Yokohama-based company to facilitate a purchase.  (Viv Float tonearm.) Eleven years ago, he reluctantly helped me buy a Koetsu Urushi in Akihabara, the electronics mecca of Tokyo, but that's about it.  I love him dearly, regardless.

I would say Europe, especially Germany in the guise of "West Germany", recovered more rapidly from WW2 devastation than did Japan.  As late as the late 1950s or early 1960s, the slogan "Made in Japan" was a synonym for poor quality in the USA.  And there was no market here for Japanese cars until the late 60s. This, in my opinion, was due to a racist sentiment here, at that time.

I am an advocate of not encouraging any individual to take on something that is assessed through 'Rose Tinted Glasses'.

@lewm like your self, I am wed to Japanese Vintage TT's, I have these bought on one occasion from within the UK and all others from abroad.

Many SP10's once seen in the UK were ripped out from Radio Station Booths and sold on with the Consuls produced for the Studio with a Built in Power Supply.

I know many who got on the SP10 MkII Ladder this way, but I chose not to use this as the method. For the record SP10 MkII's were commonly seen in the era selling for £150-200. If you were willing to take a Job Lot, £90ish per unit is a accurate reflection of the asking prices.

In the UK today, a TT bought at this time and being one that has ended being put to use as a more conventional TT design, can easily acquire £1500 as a sale item.

What I do know is that many TT's from these vintages, especially ones removed from Radio Stations, have undergone some sought of patching up to have them appear seemingly conventional.

The 'under the hood aspect' is certainly an unknown, and to the individual not time served and not having a clear direction on what would be a good practice following a purchase, especially the individual being fantastical about the idea of buying into TT's that receive reports on the impact made, like those from myself.

The idea, that such good reports are a result of buying a TT only are very very wrong. In my case there is a support required from other parties, to get onto the Starting Grid and eventually Pull Away successfully from the Start Line.

It is this Beat that is sent out from my Drum.    

Dear Leww, Thanks for your politeness and kindness. However those

seem to apply only after your dead. I don't believe in God or other

not physical entities by in  your case I do beieve in angels. Your wife

is different  from  all others. She give up her by mother neture given

right to decide about furnishing but  you used your own right and

provided even your living room with those ''Spanish doors'' invented

for the shay  people by clothing but in you case called ''HUGE electrostate''

of which you own TWO . One in the celar were your wine is also situated. 

All my visitors and IN particuar ladies asked ''what are THOSE?  refering

to my speakers. The ''obvous qiestion'' was ''why areTHOSE so big?''

But they were never satisfy with my answer: ''you can't get bass from small kind!''

All the ladies  advised my wife to divorse your trully without knowing my

ONLY condition to my than girl friend: ''I want the right to choose my speakrs''

all other ''things'' related to furnishing will be your ''jurisdiction''. But geuss

what: her whole life she regreted this ''only one'' condition. You can than

understan in this context  why I want to see and chat  with your wife. Kenwood

included. I am sure that I will  get ''this one'' for free from her. because she

AT LAST will be liberated from your hobby.

Nah. She’s oblivious to the big speakers, maybe because we’ve been married 45 years and I’ve had speakers of similar size, if not even bigger and more ugly (two pairs of KLH 9s) since before we met. 

Dear Lew, I think that your (beloved) son explains the situation. His ascetic

charakter he obviously ''inherited'' from his mom and not from his dad.

My beloved son is the oposit but in the sens that he also does not

care about my hobby but well about his. More in particuar who should pay

for HIS hobby.

But now ''something totaly different''.. Nobody got the idea to check those

so called ''jewel bearings'' on internet.  Raul will not change his mind

but probably understand the problem of those RUBY bearings in his

beloved  EPA 100. Not to mention their BEST MM's with ''damper'' problem

called ''low riders'',