Pet Sounds: Most Overrated Album of All Time?

Try as I might -- and I have tried very hard -- I just don't get the "genius" of this album. I know that George Martin said that Sgt Pepper would have never happened without Pet Sounds, but I don't think the two are even in the same league. What am I missing?
jeffreybowman2k
I like a lot of the old giants from louis Armstrong, count Basie, duke ellington, ella Fitzgerald, billie holiday to the beatles, stones, pink floyd, led Zeppelin, miles Davis....

To me the test is whether I like the entire album and pet sounds is not consistent enuf for me to listen to....it's uneven and the vocals are not great....a few gems no doubt!

The smile record is a lifetime achievement nod by critics and it's swell that be recovered from mental illness. I saw him at an early comeback gig and he had no stage presence and sang poorly and looked like a deer stuck in the headlights but people were just thrilled he was out there. I say kudos for beating your demons but please Lennon runs circles around him as does Dylan , mccartney, Morrison van and john......
I couldn't find the Billboard charts for May 1966. Here is a play list from Billboard Top Pop Hits: 1966-5 compilation albums released by Rhino Records to give some perspective of what was hot during the time of the Pet Sounds release. These are singles throughout that year.

1."She's Just My Style" — Gary Lewis & the Playboys
2."Red Rubber Ball" — Cyrkle
3."No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)" — T Bones
4."Ballad of the Green Berets" — Ssgt. Barry Sadler
5."Sloop John B" — Beach Boys
6."Sunshine Superman" — Donovan
7."Daydream" — Lovin' Spoonful
8."Winchester Cathedral" — New Vaudeville Band
9."Cherish" — The Association
10."Last Train to Clarksville" — Monkees

and here is 1965...

1."The Name Game" - Shirley Ellis
2."A Lover's Concerto" - The Toys
3."This Diamond Ring" - Gary Lewis & the Playboys
4."Help Me, Rhonda" - Beach Boys
5."You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" - The Righteous Brothers
6."Wooly Bully" - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
7."1-2-3" - Len Barry
8."Treat Her Right" - Roy Head and The Traits
9."I Got You Babe" - Sonny & Cher
10."Eve Of Destruction" - Barry McGuire

This may help...

Happy Listening!
You are right that pet sounds is better than the other stuff on the charts back then....this does not make it sound better today...

You are also right that music is more sophisticated today but hey the white album or revolver or rubber soul has aged well so why has a lot of pet sounds not aged well!

You are right that pet sound was hugely influential but does that make it great to listen to today? Sure for those who remember it from the beginning but not for most of us
Audiohifila:

Do you feel the same way about opera or classical or big bands or Dylan?

It's a lot like sports. If you are a student of the game, you appreciate the legends of yesteryear and recognize that the stars of today are walking down the path paved by their forebears. Same with music. Music appreciation and music knowledge are not mutually exclusive.

Regards,

Rich
A lot of the popular stuff from that era that many pick on is actually quite good nowadays on original vinyl or re-mastered to CD on a good system.

Its not high-brow stuff but listen to a lot of it today on a good system that is leaps and bounds better than what most people had back then, or what they heard on AM radio, and you may not laugh anymore!

A lot of the Herb Alpert stuff on original vinyl sounds absolutely fabulous when I listen to it today!

Wilson certainly helped take it to a higher level in a very noticeable way with the Beach Boys and particularly with PS, as did the Beatles certainly, but they were not alone by a longshot. They were perhaps two of the highest profile groups that effectively registered with the rock critics of the day to do it though.

In hindsight, those rock critics got a lot of things wrong back in the day just as they often do today as well.

Just look at some of the music from that era that lives on today and continues to be highly regarded. A lot of it was panned by the same elitist group of rock critics back then as not being "serious" art/music.

The true measure of any classic is longevity.