Pass Labs Int 25 vs Int 60

I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to listen to these two integrated amplifiers.

I know the Int 25 is basically the XA25 with a preamp. The Int 60 runs class A to 30 watts (and uses the same preamp) so maybe it's more closely related to the XA30.8, though I don't believe I've read that anywhere.

Anyway, I think from a power perspective both will be fine with my 90db floorstanders. My main question is which is the warmer, smoother of the two amps? Even if that means being darker and more veiled, I would want to go with that amp!

Thanks.
shahram

Showing 4 responses by cal3713

@bluorion With any Nelson Pass design you should assume it'll get pretty warm.  I think his general rule is to keep it around a level where you can keep your hand on the heat sinks for about 5 seconds before being forced to pull away.  I've had an XA-25 in my room, and it wasn't crazy hot, but I don't think you'd want to stuff it in a cabinet or anything.

@aberyclark #1 should be easy enough to test.  Find (or make) a quiet track  and just plug your source straight into the J2.  Then compare with it through the BHK.  Or borrow a DAC with variable output and try the same.

As for #2, I haven't heard the J2, but I suspect it would sound quite different from the 25. The J2 and XA25 use different output devices, and a different amplification typology.  The J2 has a SET-like distortion profile with 2nd harmonic dominance and the XA25 has a 3rd harmonic dominant profile (I believe this is true of the 60.8 as well). They likely have different damping factors too, so may interact with your speakers differently.  Only one way to know which you'd prefer.

I love the two completely opposite reviews from two people who've tried both head-to-head... and both with efficient speakers to boot.  

Just goes to show that you've got to hear equipment in your system, with your ears, to truly know what you'll prefer.  
@stevehuff Really great comparisons in that review Steve.  For people who haven't clicked yet, Steve also has top-quality integrateds from Luxman, Vinnie La Rossie, and Line Magnetic on hand for comparisons.  What a privilege to have those in the stable... all beautiful in their own way I'm sure.  And really an accomplishment for Nelson to have come out on top...