Pass Labs A/B amps vs Class A amp and Actual Power

Dumb question; how can you compare the actual power or ability of an amp to drive a tough load (such as a Magnepan) when looking at a Pass Labs A/B design such as the X250.5 or X350.5 vs one of the full class A amps like the XA60.5 and XA100.5? For example, which amps would (from a standpoint of just pure power/grunt) drive 3.6's better, an X350.5 or a XA60.5?
stickman451

Showing 7 responses by stickman451

Thanks for the feedback. There is a used XA-60.5 on AG right now; very tempting!

It's just difficult to accept that a 60 watt amp can drive the Maggies with more or as much 'power' than a 350.5 but I we talking about different kinds of watts too.
I actually gave Pass Labs a call today and they were very patient and helpful in discussing the relative power(s) of their amps. They recommended either the XA100.5 or the X350.5. They felt that in my larger room and considering my history in using Horn speakers (In addition to the 3.6's I have a pair of Klipschorns) that the XA60.5 might not quite get the job done for me. All their amps 'double-down' into 4 ohms so I would have either 200 watts of pure Class A (that's a lot!) or 700 Watts of Class A/B (that's a lot too!)... And, even with the X350.5 I would get 80 Watts of Class A performance before it slipped into A/B mode; sounds like the X350.5 is a good deal and just the ticket!
I'm pretty sure that Pass Labs told me that all of their XA.5 and X.5 amps 'double-down', so an XA100.5 would give you 200 watts of Class A into a 4 ohm load... Pretty sure I heard them say that exactly...
Teajay or other 20.1 owners - in your opinion, what is the absolute minimum room width that will work with a Magnepan 20.1?
For me it's probably a mute point; the XA100.5 is most likely more than I can/would spend even at used prices...
Rtn1, that is exactly what Pass told me today. All of the XA.5 amps will double their Class A output into 4 ohms.

Guys, any thoughts on the absolute minimum room width for Magnepan 20.1's?
So, roughly, with 1.5 ft from each side wall and 5 ft spread, a minimum room would be 13ft wide since 20.1 is approx 2.5ft wide...

Adding another 1.5 ft on each side (total of 3ft) would make that minimum 16ft wide and one more foot spread between the speakers would be a 17ft room...