Pass Labs 1st Watt Rundown

I have become intrigued with the 1st Watt series and I am trying to wrap my head around the series and the differences within the series, but the internet discussions seem shallow.

Can anyone give me a rundown of the different models, versions, whatever?

What are the differences from one to another?

Did the newer iterations correct problems of the previous models and what were they, or did they simply address differences in power?

Stereo? Monoblocks?

What pre's and the sensitivity of the speakers you used with them.

Anything else you can think of as to characteristics of the different models.

Thanks

128x128tonydennison

Showing 1 response by pwoodard922

I have owned two First Watt amps, the M2 and the Sit-3.  I would like to hear an F8.  Agree that the 6moons review goes into great detail and does a nice job comparing several models.  Of the two, the M2 had a bit more power (25 watts into 8 ohms) vs 18 into 8 ohms for the sit-3. I preferred the M2 to my Rogue Stereo 100 amp, despite the rogue having much more power. Better soundstage and detail.  So I sold the rogue amp.

I then got a sit-3 and thought it was again a bit more detailed with a larger soundstage.  I recently got some caintuck open baffle speakers, and in my small room (11x 14), the Sit-3 and the open baffles sound phenomenal, with jazz, folk, rock, piano music, ambient…  I think the sit-3 sounded better with the open baffles (94 dB sensitivity) than my ported bookshelf speakers (87 dB sensitivity), so they may do better with higher sensitivity speakers. 

i sold the M2s and kept the sit-3. Hope this helps