Parasound A-23 or Parasound HCA 2200

What are the relative strengths of these amps, I see both available for a good price on ebay.  Thanks.
128x128markainsworth

Showing 2 responses by teo_audio

Depending on age and use, both of them might need to be recapped. If the A23 is near the start of the production run, ie, 2003 is the date code on the one I’ve got floating round here, and it needed new main filter caps. Nothing unusual there, it happens. Ageing and stressing makes it so. The given 2200II will probably be the same, only moreso, regarding some aspect of the Capacitors needing replacement. This is not a Parasound issue, it happens with all gear.

So be careful and look for production date codes before jumping....

All older amps eventually need this and have these issues, I’ve dealt with it hundreds of times.

Eg, just rebuilt a Belles 450 a while back. A high bias mosfet ’hotrunner’. It has 12x3300uf 100V caps in the main power supply. In this case.... two were nearly a dead short,...three read zero capacitance.... and the rest had gone gassy with expanded/bubbled tops and clunking moving innards. I’ve rarely found such bad condition in an amp before, and it not having literally blown the caps out with a bang and associated smoke cloud. A testament to the given capacitor builder, and the robustness of the circuit. On my own original Belles 450 (still got it packed away), one output mosfet had gone to a dead short condition, and the amp kept working, it never failed. Ran that way for months. Not common, usually it’s all fire and smoke at such extremes. But I digress.

Point is... those amps are older now and new caps become a critical issue, and in such scenarios the failure generally occurs at turn on, and...one day...it just happens.
The dead cap issue is tied to thermal and electrical stressing and some amps are anomalies that only appear over time. EG, I’ve got more than a few 30-40+ year old amps where the main filter caps measure and look fine. that is usually the rule, but when they get that old, new main filter caps are generally a good idea.

When I look at an amplifier, I look at many many photos of it and specifically the ones called ’nudies’, where you see the innards. Those images can provide some info on potentials in longevity but only to a knowledgeable and practiced eye.

The second point of research involves looking for any issue with repairs, if the unit (specific model) has repair issues, if the unit has a history of repeats in a given fault mode. People talk about refurbish or rebuilds and so on. Read the tech talk, even if it is a bit difficult to follow, it can be enlightening.

A check on the Parasound products will find little to no blips, trends, or anomalies in these areas. Always a good sign.

To think that one has to consider Parasound product age as part of an evaluation of a potential purchase....is a point in pride, not a problem. Pride in that the product has been around long enough that such age issues can actually arise.