Paradigm 3f vs 120h

Hi all,

I've got a pair of prestige 75f which I love but looking for a speaker that fills my 18x22 foot room a bit more. I'm considering the persona 3f but am intrigued by the new founder 120h, which is about the same price.  Has anyone compared the two?

average_joe

Showing 3 responses by dep14

@perryleros Yes, they are more laid back.  I own the 120s, they are outstanding.  I found the personas very bright. 

@perryleros

I figured I would elaborate a bit more.

In the past I’ve not loved Paradigm Speakers. There have been some I’ve liked, but found something that bothered me, typically in the high end. But I always like to keep an open mind.

The Founder series to me are easily the best they have produced. The soundstage is huge, they are detailed and accurate but are not bright, nor metallic. The dynamics are outstanding. I find the personas to just be way too bright for any extended listening.

With the 120’s… the bass, the bass, the bass. After running ARC it’s deep, accurate, punchy etc. Plus, it really cleans up the mids and highs (by cleaning up the low end, the mids and highs just seem to follow). I’m very impressed with these speakers.

I would however say they put you in the first 10 rows of a concert (but I tend to listen a tad loud). They are not bright or aggressive, but they are a bit forward.

I wouldn’t necessarily say the Personnas and a sub are the better way to go.  

Many (including me) do not like the Personnas.  It’s different horses for different courses.

Integrating a sub with a 2 channel system can be very tricky, rooms, space etc can all be a challenge.  

Many of us do not listen to audiophile recordings all of the time.  Rock recordings in particular, listened to loudly can be bright, to harsh on the Personas.  It’s not like I’m the only one out there that feels this way.

I have no problem acknowledging that the Personas are very, very transparent. You do indeed hear everything.  For some, that’s not always good.

That said, I think we are in agreement that the 120H is a heck of a speaker for the money.