Paradigm 100 v.3 – B&W 804 dilemma… please help

I was almost set to buy Paradigm 100 v.3 after auditioning them (well I auditioned 60’s and just assumed that the 100s will be better) last week but auditioned some B&W 804’s speakers today and now I am CONFUSED!

The B&W 804’s sounded really good. Clear and smooth but was powered by an 80 watt amp whereas the Paradigms were powered by a 200 watt Sunfire amp. Thus, I need to ask for advice from you experts again. How good are the Paradigm 100 v.3 compared to B&W 804? Has anyone auditioned for these two speakers and which one did you end up getting… why? I read somewhere that the Paradigm 100 v.3 are as good as the high end B&W Nautilus line. Is this true?

Additional question… what system would be better for 70% movies 30% movies system
1) Paradigm 100’s and studio cc + 20 side surrounds + studio cc rear
2) B&W 804 fronts and nautilus HTM 2 center + B&W CM or 600 series bookshelf speakers for my surrounds and rear.

Finally… for people who are familiar with B&W. How big is the difference between 804 and CDM 9NT?

Thanks
doodleboytoyb266

Showing 4 responses by doodleboytoyb266

Sounds like I have an additional option to confuse my decision lol.

805 fronts and I can add a velodyne sub (its the only good sub we have here and I hope it matches the B&W set-up).

How are the 805's compared to the CDM9NT? I might still use 601's as side and rear surrounds. Will they timbre match with the 800 series?
Distortion/Ohlala

Thanks for your advice. I will try to reply one by one.

1) I wish I could audition using the same system but I live in the Philippines and the dealers here just wont allow home auditioning. Thus it is difficult to audition both speakers with the same variables. :( That is also why I am asking you experts.

2) The funny thing is the pricing structure here in the Philippines. The B&W 804's cost 2700 (NEW) the CDM9NT 2000 (new) and Studio 100 2200 (new). The surround set-up of the studio series is roughly similar to the CDM line that is why I am opting to save some money and use the B&W 600 series for my surrounds if I get the 804's since the midrange drivers are the same and I reckon will be timbre matched. BTW I will be using rotel 1066 and 1080 amp (200 watts) to drive them.

Listening will be 70% movies and 30% music and music taste is classical, jazz and pop. nothing hard. I prefer a smooth and clear sound.
Grr... I am dying to hear the studio 100s v.3 but the dealer over here wont get them until end Aug. Just frustrated because I cannot do a side by side unlike you guys from North America :(

In any case, here is one additional question. Will the 804's timbre match with 601 surrounds? If I go with the 804 I wont have the budget for two pairs of 805's for my surround speakers and will go with the smaller 601's. I reckon they will work well because the use the same 6.5" kevlar midrange or am I mistaken?

How important are rear channels? I havent tried SACD or surround DVD's nor do I have the machine to play the SACD.

Finally... just wondering how old are the 804's? Have they been in market for a long time. It will just feel bad if B&W changes models after I buy a set. Besides, I might have plans to udgrade my rear to 805's in the future.

My room is 18 x 21 will a 7.1 system work since I might position the fronts far from the wall to get better depth for stereo.

Thanks again!
Sorry to bring this thread back to life... Just one final question.

My system will have 804's for my fronts HTM2 for center and 601 for side surround and rear surround. Will that system work (i.e. timbre match)? I do not listen much to SACD or DVD-A for my music. I know ideally i'd be better with 805's as surrounds but they are SOOOO expensive :)

Thanks