Pairing Bookshelf Speakers to my Yamaha A-S801

Hello dear Audiogononians,

I’m a long time lurker, who made a personal account to ask for some advice. I’m looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers that I can buy new or find used that would pair nicely with my integrated amplifier (Yamaha A-S801). The current speakers are a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers. I don’t recall the exact model number off the top of my head, but it doesn’t seem wholly relevant as they retail for less than half of the MSRP of the amplifier (and I happened to have gotten them for free. A story for another day.). 

The sources are as follows (wired with audioquest interconnects):

Bluesound Node

Apple TV (ARC back to the node) 

Sony Blu-Ray player (ARC back to the node for movies, and coax into the integrated for use as a CDT) (Will eventually be upgraded to the Yamaha CD-S303)

Teac TN-350-SE Turntable (with bypassed internal phono stage going into the phono preamp in the Yamaha) 

Sanyo Cassette player (soon to be upgraded to the TEAC W1200)

Any advice or conversation is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mulchy

128x128mulchy

KEF LS50 with a subwoofer is also a good option. I have the LS50W meta in my bedroom system, and my son has the LS50. We both enjoy them a lot! The Absolute Sound gave a great review of the Yamaha A-S801 back in 2016, using the LS50 with a subwoofer. You can get the LS50 on sale for around $1299 or less, leaving you a budget of around $700 for the sub. I use and like the SVS SB1000 pro, but there are many good subs in that price range, including KEF and REL.

OP do a little research before considering ANYTHING with METAL drivers!
 Do a Google search for "speakers with natural organic tone"...Opinion after opinion will show you a common theme that if you want relaxed,organic & natural warmth,you want a speaker with wood pulp/paper,Carbon Fiber or Kevlar mid bass drivers & textile(silk)tweeters...Think about real musical instruments..Have you EVER heard a metal instrument(horns,flutes a Dobro guitar, etc..)that have natural warmth?NO,they are brash,etched & in your face,There is a REASON violins,cellos,guitars etc.are made of WOOD!!!

These are some great recommendations - I appreciate it. 

I had not heard much of the Yamaha/Kef lore. Very interesting. I have a pair of KEF reference speakers from the 70s that are in a state of disrepair. The woofers are fine but the tweeters sound terribly off. I don’t really have a positive or negative opinion about them as I haven’t really heard any other than my broken ones. I do like the look of the LS50s @acguo - really beautiful stuff. 

I also hadn’t really considered Sonus Faber. I haven’t listened to any in truth, but they certainly look fantastic and the specs seem impressive. That’s a good shout thanks! 

Many of my audio colleagues have referenced being around for The Tweeter Days(TM). A part of me thinks about hifi of many moons ago in romantic terms (having never experienced them). Then I think better of it as I remember how incredibly good components and speakers have gotten. 

I should add more detail about the system for reference:

All components are wired with audioquest, including the video sources (the Apple TV, BRP, and sometimes a computer, are routed through an hdmi switcher).

The speakers, ironically, are wired with clear jacketed rip chord. I know, I know. This will change eventually. They are bi wired atm. 

The speakers are on a custom piece of wood furniture. They are not sat on it wood-to-wood, so to speak. They have small feet put on by the previous owner. I’d call it a couple millimeters height off the top of the cabinet. Stands are ideal, I agree - but the space doesn’t really allow for it. 

A sub is definitely in the cards, but I’d rather spend the cash on the bookshelves initially, and then save up for a nicer sub. I was thinking something from JL. Do you guys have any personal experience with their subs? 

@nicholsr I like their business philosophy! 

@freediver would you consider the aluminum/alloy ribbon voice coil in a ribbon tweeter to be a disqualifying factor? I actually quite like the sound of Monitor Audio’s platinum line rt. I actually got to hear the current gen PL300s paired with the A-S801, oddly enough - and with a D’Agostino Momentum Preamp/Mono amps rig. Obviously the latter being grossly out of my budget lol but a cool experience nonetheless. 

Not nearly as in-your-face sounding as some of the cheaper rts I’ve heard, even through the much cheaper Yamaha.