Outputs, Technics 1520 Reel to Reel.

I just purchased a Technics 1520 open reel tape deck.

Have any of you compared the signal from both the balanced and single ended jacks and determined which provides best performance? My understanding is the balanced outputs are transformer coupled.

Also, has anyone fitted a 1520 with a IEC plug and benefited from aftermarket power cable?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter

Showing 3 responses by beemer

I had a Technic 1500. This was single-ended only so I'm afraid I'm not much help. Technics sourced their heads for these machines from Otari....thus still available.

Not much else in the way of repair part are available though. I hope you didn't pay a lot. If it quits it will make a dandy doorstop. ;-)

Best,

Paul :-)
Albert, considering what you have for source material, you will enjoy the 1520 immensely.

LOL I sold my 1500 some years ago on Ebay while they were "hot". You spiked my memory as indeed the machines played all 3 speeds like very few others.

I have about 400+ prerecorded reels myself going back to the 50's. Lots of classical early 1/2 track stuff. Some is wonderful, some ghastly.

These days I'm down to 5 reel decks. Akai GX747dbx, TEAC X-1000R w/dbx, 2 Otari MX5050's, one half-tracker and one 4 track. Reel to reel analog has a special place in my heart and head. Being into the music for almost 40 years, I can remember even SEARS selling prerecorded reels.

Being an old-timer two channel guy is wonderful....so many great memories.

Best,

Paul :-)