Ortofon --- A90 or SPU 90th?

Trying to decide between an Ortofon A90 or SPU 90th. They both utilize a lot of the same technologies.

Rest of system is Garrard 301 (grease), Schick 12" G-style Tonearm, Shindo Masseto/Cortese, Devore Nines.

I'm a relative newcomer to vinyl and trying to do it right the first time. I've heard great things about both cartridges but heard neither personally. I've also never heard an SPU in general so not sure what kind of sound characteristic differences i would see between an SPU type and non-SPU type cartridge.

Thoughts?
jcote
My $0.02 worth:
1- The A90 and the SPU 90th (in fact, all SPUs) are completely different cartridges. Only an SPU sounds like an SPU. (you will find that either good or bad)

2- IMO, both cartridges are superb. The A90 is probably the better overall choice if you listen to a wide variety of musical genres. The SPU is a great choice is you listen mainly to classical, vocals or jazz (again, IMO).

3- The Schick tonearm is a *much* better match with the SPU, which is really the whole reason for owning a Schick. There are better tonearm choices for the A90.

4- You have a great system. It is also a lot of system for a first timer. Be patient - it's going to take a little time and effort to dial it in properly; or a good dealer who really knows the 301.

Have fun...
I own both the A90 and the SPU 90th Anniversary--but as Br3098 says, the SPU is a match made in heaven for the Schick. It sounds wonderful on my 301/Schick. The A90 is mated to my Micro Seiki setup, and performs very well there. Horses for courses...
I have an SPU 90th on an Ikeda 407 tonearm for my 301.

I think it sounds great with all music from chamber music to jazz to rock to electronica to vocals.

Thant's an impressive system you are putting together BTW
Thanks guys...i'm thinking I'll go with the SPU 90th. In terms of the current SPU's is the 90th still their top or is there a new king of the SPU hill?