Optimal loading for the Orpheus

I am in the process of acquiring a Transfiguration Orpheus cartridge. Despite a lot of very informative information on the 'Gon, I have yet to see insight regarding the optimal loading folks have found for the the Orpheus. Your thoughts and experiences, please.
hickory

Showing 6 responses by reb1208

I've settled on 250 ohms with a Temper V. Resistor is a dale metal film. No interest yet in moving to an o.
I find the Temper V to be very demanding of set-up parameters. If not dialed in just right, I would describe the sound as muddled/conjested/slow even veiled. Careful A/B comparision with the same mastered recording played back on cd as a reference reveals this trait. The V is dialed in though when the transient speed is near equal to CD. When I achieve this goal, the V sounds like the LP record it is tracing. In addition, the lack of inner groove distortion the V exhibits is nothing short of a revelation. The tonearm I'm using is a modified + rewired Rega RB1000 and I have ability to adjust VTA on the fly. Phonostage is a modified Lukasheck T-9 with outboard power transformer into a balanced tube pre. Are there more detailed cartridges than the V? Absolutely.. Better trackers?..I'm not so sure.
"In my rig, there is really no easy way to change loading"

There is no such thing as not having an easy way to change loading. Anyone can have infinite ability to load a phono cartridge any value below 1000 ohms. All you have to do is modify the interconnect from tonearm to phonostage. I soldered in a female RCA using jumper wires at each cable male RCA connector. Into this I plug in a male RCA with the resistor of choice soldered from positive to negative.

After experimenting, you could simply solder the high quality resistor of choice right across the RCA connector (from Positive to negative) on the cable.

Again, all you have to do is set your phonostage to a know value and consult the chart for the parallel value. Or if your good at math, use the formula.

If you consult a resistor parallel chart, you'd learn that a phonostage set at 47K + a resistor of 1K equals a loading value of 979 ohms. 47k + 250 ohms equals 249 ohms.
Sirspeedy said about the V:

"To get all it has to offer though,one really MUST experiment ALOT with set-up variables as well as having a group of reliable audio friends to reinforce these impressions."

IMO, more so than any cartridge I've ever owned. To the point of it being a real PIA to deal with cause you really have to keep after the darn thing. And I'm not sure really why this is.
Larryi said:

"Nsgarch mentioned concentrating on the change in bass response and you concentrate on the high end. Both extremes are critical. Because I expect a good MC cartridge to deliver an open and airy top end, I am particularly concerned with loading that maintains enough top end response while avoiding excessive brightness and sibilance."

In my experience (albeit it is extreme experimenting. I not not only concentrate on high freq transient respone but also on low frequency quality and balance when dialing in a reference level transducer. In fact, I find the bass and lower midrange the most difficult challenge to get right. As far as highs and resolution are concerned. I've heard MC that definitely avoid any trace of sibilance/clinical sound yet sound artificialy detailed. The Tranfigs appear to avoid this trait. And that why I have stuck with the V.
Online retailers are listing the RB1000 at $1,995. Dang, the weak dollar has really inflated the price of UK Imports.