Optimal loading for Dynavector xx2

Hi - I have just bought a Dynavector xx2 cartridge, loading it with the recommended 30 Ohm setting, but I have read that 40 Ohm is better suited for this cartridge, any recommendation of where is the right setting?

Thanks !

Fernando
128x128flg2001

Showing 9 responses by flg2001

I am using a Michael Yee PF1 phono stage, very versatile in terms of cartridge load settings.
The Michael Yee phono satges has 4 input sensitivity options (for MM and MC) and load settings from 20 to 350 Ohms with a combination of 2 8 DIP switches, increments are every 10 Ohm until 150 or so and then 20 Ohm increments.

I have it at the highest sensitivity option (above 575dB) which gives plenty of gain to have it at the same output level as the CDP input option of my preamp, and at 30 Ohms (I will try the 100 Ohm setting and work out from there).

Am I heading to the right path?

Thanks a lot (all) for your help, it is highly appreciated.

Fernando
Yeap.. 57.5 dB (575 would be terrifying!!!)

I will try the 100 ohm loading and go back once I return from this business trip, thanks Xlr8or.
Terrific!!!

Great sound at 100 Ohms guys!
Many Thanks !

This is the best cart I have had so far.

Fernando
After some additional time at 100 ohms, I was wondering if moving up to 150 or 200 may create a more balanced frequency response, since as nice at it is currently performing, presentation leans towards the high frequency end - bass is OK, but I am sure there is a little more "juice" there.

Please advise.

Fernando
Please don´t laugh!!! :)

I went back to my phono preamp and tried the 50 Ohm "setting", different presentation but still funny sounding. Then placed the DIP switched for 150 Ohms and, while different sound, still got a non-convincing result.

Then. I noticed that I was assuming (+) the positions marked OPEN in the DIP switch bank... called a friend and informed me that CLOSED is (+), not OPEN.!!!!!!

You were right!! 100 Ohms sounds better!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Fernando