Oppo UHP 205 Universal Player

Hello.  Have an opportunity to purchase a mint condition Oppo 205 universal player for $2,500.  I'm heavily into multi-channel SACD and Blu-Ray music playback.  Seem like a reasonable deal?  Any other suggestions?

Ag insider logo xs@2xdrlou77

Showing 8 responses by mijostyn

Yes, The Magnetar UDP 900 is even better than the Oppo and it does 4K. The UDP 800 Is about the same as the Oppo 205 at $1300!! Much more reasonable than a used Oppo and it also does 4K 

@drlou77 

I always have this itch to get the latest and greatest.  The Reavon is midway between the UDP 800 and 900 in terms of audio performance. Reavon and Magnetar are essentially the same company.  I have to have a universal player as I have a lot of SACDs, DVD As and BluRays as well as a few remaining CDs. Most of the CDs have been loaded onto a hard drive. Pure Music up samples them to 24/96 and uses a digital antialiasing filter resulting in a cleaner high end. 

@drlou77 

Pure Music is the Player section of Pure Vinyl. This is the program Michael Fremer uses to record vinyl to his hard drive. You can buy Pure Music separately. It is an Apple specific program that uses iTunes (Music) and all of its functionality to library the music. It then plays the music from there in any codec.  It is like a high test JRiver. I use Pure Vinyl to raid everyone's record collections to record rare and special records. It also has a very effective pop and click eliminator. 

Check it out at Channel D's web site. 

@drlou77 ,

Pure Vinyl uses your hard drive like a tape machine. You record record by digitizing it in real time and placing the file, like any other file, on your hard drive. 

https://www.channld.com/purevinyl/

@drlou77 

I now have a UDP 900 and the answer to your question is, a better picture, a much better picture. The transport is faster and it is more than twice as heavy. Sonically it has no faults.