Oppo UDP - 205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
unsound

Showing 2 responses by azbrd

The UDP-205 disappointed me, it does NOT support Tidal, it only streams from a NAS or attached disk.  In talking with support they confirmed that Tidal or any other streaming service will not be supported which tells me Oppo has their eye off the market.

As for sound its not much better than my Modwright modified 105 and its definitely not as good as the Schiit Yggdrasil

It is however a very good 4k player!
"As for sound its not much better than my Modwright modified 105"

@azbrd,  

Comparing stock UDP-205 with Modwright modified 105....Is that a fare comparison?
Given the fact that the UDP-205 has a more advanced digital section I believe it should have been a push at least.  The Modwright 105 does not touch the digital section, although Bybee rail does touch the power going to the dacs.  The ES9038PRO DACs should have bested the older versions in the 105.

The other major issue with the 205 has been covered in this thread, when used with any Sony screen the HDMI drops randomly IF a HDMI loop (205 -> TV + non-4k-sur-processor->TV) exists, I installed the 205 in the "exact" same configuration as the 105 which did not have this issue.  Speaking to Oppo they pointed the finger at Sony claiming they leave all their HDMI ports active even if no signal is present.  

I also found it "cheap" that Oppo took away features like Tidal and netfix in the 205 that existed in the 105.  Never see a company pull features from a newer product.